Hands won't move after setting

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Sidewinder, Jun 2, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Guest

I have an 18 size Waltham from 1884 that is lever set. When the time is reset, the hands
    don't always start moving again when the setting lever is pushed back in. I notice very little resistance turning the crown when the lever is in the setting position. I have refrained from setting the watch to "daylight" time because I'm afraid it will stall out.

2. Sidewinder

Sidewinder Guest

I have an 18 size Waltham from 1884 that is lever set. When the time is reset, the hands
    don't always start moving again when the setting lever is pushed back in. I notice very little resistance turning the crown when the lever is in the setting position. I have refrained from setting the watch to "daylight" time because I'm afraid it will stall out.

3. Tom Huber

Tom Huber Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 9, 2000
    Male
    Track & cross Country Coach
    Indiana PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sound like a loose/worn canon pinion.

Tom

4. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

I agree with Tom H.

I'd say you probably have a loose or broken cannon pinion. Misadjustment of hands can also cause the problem you're having, but not the abnormal lack of resistance you're experiencing when turning the crown to set the time. That's a sure sign of cannon pinion trouble.

------------------
    Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas