Hands John Harrison Liverpool Pocket Watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Lisa B., Aug 15, 2019 at 3:59 AM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Lisa B.

Lisa B. New Member

Thursday
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Hi,

I do not know anything about pocket watches, so if anyone could shine some light on the following I would greatly appreciate it. I have searched on the Internet and found some information on the John Harrison watches Liverpool. My father-in-law's hobby was watches and clocks - he was a watch and clock repairman for over 50 years and had hundreds of clocks and watches.

We have several pocket watches, but I cannot find any information on the following.

It came in a brown case with blue velvet (it looks cheap). On the back of the case it reads "12652 18K." On the back of the watch (lid that opens up) it reads "Patent Lever Full Jeweled Hands John Harisson (it is misspelled and not spelled Harrison) Liverpool." And on the case that opens up to where you can see the inside of the watch the numbers "12652" appear again.

The glass part of the front of the watch is missing and there is a chip on the face of it. The second hand is missing.

Can anyone please provide some information on this watch? And if it is a John Harrison Liverpool watch, why is Harrison misspelled? The watch seems cheap, but thought I would ask here before getting rid of it.

My son took some pictures and they are below.

Thank you so much for your time and help.

Lisa

20190815_000919.jpg 20190815_000936.jpg 20190815_001630.jpg 20190815_001634.jpg 20190815_002638.jpg

2. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you could do a pic of the movement square on from the back I am sure it would be appreciated but I guess the answer will be that the watch is Swiss. A picture of any marks found in the case may help decide if the case is gold.

3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Lisa,

Nick is quite right, this is a Swiss watch with a signature which was intended to deceive buyers into believing it was by a Liverpool maker. There was a real Liverpool watchmaker called John Harrison, (and of course this was also the name of the famous maker of the Longitude timepieces), and the mis-spelling on your watch may have been accidental but more likely to try and avoid any legal repercussions for making a counterfeit watch.

If you see an inner cover with a lot of engraving like this, together with the two holes, one for winding and one for hand setting, you can be pretty sure that it's a Swiss product, although not necessarily intended to deceive. The 18k marking on the case isn't necessarily a true indication of the gold purity either.

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... likes this.
  4. Lisa B.

Lisa B. New Member

Thursday
    Female
    Country Flag:
    Thanks to Nick and Graham...I really appreciate your time, help and input. I have enclosed the pictures that Nick asked. So, from what I am hearing, this is a cheap imitation of the watchmaker John Harrison of Liverpool.

Do the new enclosed pictures shed anymore light onto this?

Thank you again - you have really helped me understand this whole thing.

Lisa

1.jpg 2.jpg

Keith R... likes this.
  5. Keith R...

Keith R... Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 27, 2012
    Male
    Retired Sr. Proj. mgr,
    South
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One of my Swiss hunters with famous makers name, at 15J.

Keith R...

100_4605 (1600x1200).jpg 100_4599 (1600x1200).jpg

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Lisa,

As it states on the inner cover, (the 'cuvette'), it is a lever, although this design was never patented, and there ought to be 15 jewels, assuming that the visible ones on the top have matching ones underneath, which isn't always the case. However, three of the visible jewels appear to be endstones in separate settings, and it looks as though there used to be a fourth one on the cock with the green blob. At least two of those, (three if you count the missing one), have little point in a watch like this, causing me to wonder about that 'full jewelled' engraving.

These Swiss 'forgeries' are often made to look better than they are, not only by adding spurious names!

Regards,

Graham

Keith R... likes this.
  7. Lisa B.

Lisa B. New Member

Thursday
    Female
    Country Flag:
    thank you very much Graham...you have truly helped understand this and I appreciate your time.

Lisa

8. Lisa B.

Lisa B. New Member

Thursday
    Female
    Country Flag:
    My son likes this watch, so I will give it to him for whatever he wants to do with it. Thank you all for providing me with information on this watch. I appreciate your help and your time.