Hand Washer Order

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Petaluma,CA
Country
Region
Hello,
I'm working on a Waterbury 30 Day Regulator and have a question about the order of the hand washers. I have the hour hand, minute hand, two domed washers and a taper pin. Unfortunately I did not note the order when I removed them, so am hoping for some help here. I have the hour hand on the cannon first, then a domed washer (concave to plate) on the square minute/center arbor. Next is the minute hand, then second domed washer (concave to front plate), then the taper pin. If I turn the inner washer so that the concave is facing away from the plate, the stackup is too thick and I cannot insert the pin, so I think I have them facing the right way. I think the only other way I could get it to fit is reverse the inner washer and minute hand order so that both washers are on the outer end. Any suggestions on what is correct? After putting the hands on, the clock stopped after a couple of hours. I think the inner washer was rubbing against the hour hand, so pressed this hand further on to the cannon. So far so good...
Stan

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
Putting one between the hands will rob the clock of power, likely stopping it. (If there's any friction, at all)
It's likely that the hands go on and then the washers, (concave side of both toward the minute hand) and lastly, the pin.
More (or less) domed washers was how the hand setting preload was adjusted.

sjaffe

Dec 25, 2012
Petaluma,CA
Country
Region
Thanks Martin! That was the information I needed. It is running great now. Seems pretty simple, but there are several ways that are wrong and only one that is right :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ravens Watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller