• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hand retaining washers

Bob Baxter

Dec 19, 2000
Carlisle, MA
Country
Does anyone know where I can find some hand washers for a jewelers pinwheel? I have some from suppliers but the square holes aren't large enough. I made some from .012 brass shim stock and it works, but they ain't pretty!!
I need them with holes .347" sq. and .237" sq. Any ideas??

On a completely different subject....there were posts recently concerning ivory for bushings. I have a source for pre-ban elephant ivory scraps that should be find for cutting bushings. If anyone is interested PM me.

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Bob,

You can make beautiful washers with steel punches and a soft lead block.

You can make them easier with a shim cutter as sold by MCS and others. The one I have goes from 1/8" to 3/4", I use it often.

Willie X

hoo-boy

Nov 13, 2008
1/2 mile past Resume Speed
Country
Region
Bob,

You can make beautiful washers with steel punches and a soft lead block.

You can make them easier with a shim cutter as sold by MCS and others. The one I have goes from 1/8" to 3/4", I use it often.

Willie X
I have been looking for a source for shim cutters I don't have a MCS" Big book" and cannot find the item on their website. Do you have a part No.? thanks in advance....hoo-boy

Bob Baxter

Dec 19, 2000
Carlisle, MA
Country
Yes Willie, I have the same, it's the square holes I would like to cut cleanly. I suppose I can just punch a round hole in the shim stock, wedge it between two pieces of wood and file away.

Scottie, I looked into the Greenlee punches, they are equal to a car payment!!

I'll figure out something.

Painted Road Kill

Jan 15, 2010
Houston, TX
Country
Region
I bent pivot wire around a round mandrel of required size then cut to make a little snap ring of sort. Works great and is invisible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antiquehunter
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-