hand nut keeps comming lose

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
Once in a while I will come across a clock where the hand nut will not stay on . It will keep working it's way off after a week or so . Anyone else ever have this happen ?If so what can a person do to keep the nut on?

Al skogen

RJSoftware

Apr 15, 2005
Loxahatchee, Florida
Country
Region
Yep. For me is one of my cuckoos.

What I find is the retaining nut backside is bottoming out on the hour cannon tube. The end/edge of the hour cannon tube that is.

No wait, come to think of it, it tightens up too tight and stopped the clock.

What I did was shave(file the end) the cannon tube length just a hair so it was a little shorter.

This might relate, but I don't see how.
RJ

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Once the nut is in the correct place--a little" blue" loctite will work and it is easily reversible.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Al, the cure depends on the clock. A lockwasher comes to mind, but not suitable for all clocks. A cupped washer will work for many as well.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
Nut should not easily come off once fully tightened. Reads to me like perhaps shaft threads are stripped, nut threads are stripped, or nut is not correct for shaft.

wdonovan

Aug 11, 2008
Bayville, NJ
Visit site
burnz said:
Once the nut is in the correct place--a little" blue" loctite will work and it is easily reversible.
Should never be necessary as long as the clock is assembled correctly. If you need Loctite, that alone should tell you that you have a problem. Fix the problem and put the Loctite back on the shelf. It's only a Bandaid.

alskogen

Jun 4, 2005
Country
Region
I guess ill try a few different hand nuts , or the washer idea . It must be caused by vibration.

wdonovan

Aug 11, 2008
Bayville, NJ
Visit site
alskogen said:
I guess ill try a few different hand nuts , or the washer idea . It must be caused by vibration.
My Porsche vibrates a little at 7000 RPMs. It does not use Loctite anywhere. The hands an your clock loosening are much more likely due to a torsion on the hand being transferred to the nut than to any vibration.

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
wdonovan said:
burnz said:
Should never be necessary as long as the clock is assembled correctly. If you need Loctite, that alone should tell you that you have a problem. Fix the problem and put the Loctite back on the shelf. It's only a Bandaid.
Hmm...
Problem: Stripped threads on center shaft.

Fix #1: Recut the threads. Don't have the proper threading die. Order one. When it comes, re-cut threads. Nut still won't hold. Not enough metal for the threads. Cut off tip of center shaft. Drill it out. Install new tip. Cut threads on it with the new die. Now nut holds.

Fix #2: Use Loctite. Now nut holds.

Sometimes, a Band-Aid would seem the smarter approach.

bangster

Bryan Prindle

Jul 27, 2005
Country
Region
Yea, I think you guys are being a little tough on ol' Burnz. If the ol' timers had had "blue" they'd used it. They just didn't have a choice.

Bryan

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Bryan and Tony,
I don't mind at all. I'm sure a lot of people here do not know the different types of loctite and the advantages of each.

I have used it on minor clock repair and on some applications for watches.

Loctite is a very acceptable repair given the particular application. The blue doesn't take any great effort to reverse when used in small amounts but will hold small items such as hand nuts etc.

I never replace a watch crown (especially vintage) without a small dab of blue. I hear of a lot of people looking to replace a lost crown---I've never had that problem. Bottom line--works for me and is totally reversible.

Some of the other loctite products are not easily reversible---but then again---I'm not working on locomotives---lol!

Most people that try loctite (the proper one for the their application) become instant believers and users of the product line.

clockpoor

Jul 31, 2007
I had a similar problem on one of my clocks, didn't have any loctite so I just used a touch of clear nail-polish. Did the trick.

CP

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
CP,
Yep--lots of uses for clear nail polish. I used to keep a bottle in my fishing tackle box.. Whenever any of the thread wrappings on the ferules start coming loose it can give you real problems. A coat over and a little drying time with clear nail polish and back in business.

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Red polish--pumps and purse.
Hmmm--do I detect a move to another state--lol?

ogee_guy

Apr 16, 2006
Country
Region
I have wrapped a loop of sewing thread under the nut and tightened it up and it stayed tight

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
I have considered CA but I'm not all that fond of sushi.
I considered Key West but not all that crazy 'bout living on a beach.