• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hand bushing installation

tickntock1

NAWCC Member
Feb 27, 2002
Hello,

I've ordered a set of Vienna hands from Timesavers. They are steel and have only a pilot hole drilled in each hand. How do I tell what size hand bushings to order and, more importantly, can someone give me some tips on their installation - especially when I comes to riviting them in place.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Cactus50

NAWCC Member
Jan 28, 2001
manor, Texas
Country
Region
Tick, I have never been able to order an exact size for these so I get the assortment. If you get one that is a good fit - great - if not use the one closest to a fit but on the small side and file to exact fit. I open the hole in the hand with a tapered reamer, this allows exact control of sizing which is important here. When the hole is a snug fit for the hand bushing I insert it in the hand from the rear and use a stake that is just smaller in inside diameter than the OD of bushing. A few taps of your small hammer should expand the outer edge of the bushing so that it is secured in the hand but still able to rotate with some force. The reamer I use -Timesavers #13528, a needle file set # 17608, bushing set #21099, if you have a lathe you can make this bushing in a few minutes. Hope this helps.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
TNT, it's your call of course, but most Viennas do not have hand bushings. Many minute cannons would not even accept the additional thickness of a bushing.
I install ALL my Vienna hands with no bushings.
First I anneal the center.
Next I drill holes in them. The minute hand hole shall be the diameter across the flats of the cannon. The hour hand, a few thou undersize of the hour cannon.
Then the minute hand with a square file, file a square hole to fit the minute cannon. The hour hand hole also is enlarged until it fits to the hour cannon by friction and seats a few thou below rim of cannon.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Scottie, that becomes more difficult on a striking Vienna, as the square has to be exactly right in placement to have the strike on the correct minute. But with careful filing, can be easily done successfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrono55
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-