Hand attachment question for a Seth Thomas 1.511 wooden movement

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by time is money, Feb 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    I have a Seth Thomas wooden works clock I am putting back together. I was told in another posted thread that the movement is a Seth Thomas 1.511 movement. The minute hand,obviously is attached in like fashion as on a brass movement with a pin. On the wooden hour hand (more or less) square shaft there are two small slots ,one on each side and opposite each other. I am assuming that there was some sort of clip used ,that perhaps slid into the tiny grooves after the hand was placed on the shaft?
    I feel rather stupid as the only other wood movement that I have ever dealt with was a Silas Hoadley "upside down" and that had a tiny hole drilled through the wood so that it just missed the center steel shaft and a pin was inserted in the hole. Just curious of how to properly attach the hour hand. Thank you in advance for any suggestions..I ,mainly, work on case, tablet and dial restoration. This clock is my mine that I intend to keep and is not for someone else..

2. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #2 Peter A. Nunes, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    The slots you are seeing are the remains of the holes for the pins that are needed to retain the hour hand. Those holes are often/usually damaged. A good fix is to drill new holes in the right places on the remaining two undamaged corners of the hour tube. I drill them by hand, with a small, very sharp bit in a pin vise.

3. time is money

time is money Registered User

Jun 30, 2013
    Yup! now that you mention that it makes perfect sense. Thank you. The way that they had the hand on was as follows; Hour hand - an older style faucet washer with the center screw hole reamed out -minute hand-washer and pin! Must have bound or dragged on each other ...Thank you!