Hampden The Four Hundred Model 4?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Wynot, Mar 7, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I picked up a Hampden wrist watch from an online auction and the watch arrived yesterday. I plugged the serial number into the pocketwatchdatabase.com database, as well as the Hampden Lookup Table by Henry Burgell. They both identified my watch as a 17 jewel Hampden Grade:The Four Hundred, Model: 4, made in 1911. The pocketwatchdatabase.com response also had a picture of, I assume, the Model 4 movement. My movement is exactly opposite their pictured movement. It is its mirror image. How can oppositely configured movements be considered the same model? Any insights are greatly appreciated.

mywatch.JPG pwdatabase hampden4-30s-hunting-high.jpg

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One may be a hunter case and the other open face.

pmwas likes this.
  3. 4mula1fan

4mula1fan Registered User

Sep 24, 2016
    Male
    Retired local delivery driver
    West Kentucky
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Your watch is more jeweled than the stock pic. Not the same critter.

4. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. Based on your comment, I did some searches for The Four Hundred, open faced vs. hunter. The open faced configuration seems to match mine, whereas the hunter case movements are reverse. Mine is also stem wound and set at 12 o'clock and the hunter is stem wound at 3 o'clock and is lever set. So, it would seem you are correct. It does raise the question in my mind, though, as to how different movements can be and still be considered the same model.

5. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    Usually if you were doing a pocket watch to wristwatch conversion you would use a Hunter configured movement so the stem is at the 3, as would the Factory if they ever made a factory Hampden 400 wrist watch which to my knowledge they did not. As for the Hunter and open face having the same grade other Watch Companies did this as well:)

6. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think that several of the American watch companies would produce a specific model in either open-face or hunting configurations. I know that Waltham did this, but Elgin and Illinois tended to use different model numbers for the two configurations.

7. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. Knowing it wasn't a factory made wrist watch will make it easier if/when I recase it. I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

8. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thank you. I really appreciate you and others sharing your knowledge. I enjoy collecting information as much or more than the watches.

9. Bila

Bila Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 22, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Country Flag:
    #9 Bila, Mar 9, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
    Never say never, I just went through a book I have here and found a "400" grade made by Hampden in a wrist watch case, but these were 5/0 Size it is a Hunter configured movement, they also show a "400" Grade (also a 5/0 Size) with a stem at the 12 but the case it is in is an off-set stem case, the stem is 5 minutes of the case lug. They also made them in your watches size of 3/0 but again with the stem at the 3 (so a hunter) and they stem at the 12 but in an off-set winding stem case once again. So my apologies for the incorrect info in the previous post, should have looked first:(

I myself have never seen these in the flesh so to speak, and whether they were Hampden Factory done, or an aftermarket fit by a Jobber/Jeweler I do not know, all the "400's" I have seen were always in Ladies pendant watches:)

10. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Thanks. I'm still trying to navigate the terminology of the 400's. With movements marked, 'No. 400' and 'The Four Hundred' and then advertisements for 'The "400" Size (3/0), which includes the Molly Stark, Diadem and The Four Hundred, and now a 5/0 400 grade, I'm just trying to digest it all. If the Molly Stark is included in the 400's, I just sold a WWI trench wrist watch. I can't say it was cased by Hampden but it was definitely period.

DSC06114.JPG

11. pmwas

pmwas Registered User

Dec 12, 2010
    Sosnowiec, Poland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag: