• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hampden Pocket Watch

Regalansonia

May 11, 2004
I am looking for an hour hand or pair of proper hands (such as whip and spade) for a Hampden 23j No. 104, OF, LS. If the hands from a Wm McKinley or other Hampden model will work, please let me know. Many thanks.

Al Stevenson

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
... proper hands (such as whip and spade) for a Hampden 23j No. 104, OF, LS. If the hands from a Wm McKinley or other Hampden model will work, please let me know. ...
Al:

As Tom indicated, they may or may not work. It depends partially upon what model movement grade No. 104 you have. The earliest ones, the model 2 having a stepped balance cock may have a larger cannon pinion diameter (earliest one did, later ones didn't). Although the example shown below is the 17-jewel version, the 23-jewel version has the same setup. By the time that Hampden went to the single-level balance cock, the cannon pinion was changed to a smaller size.

The model 2 and 1 grade No. 104 movements typically had the "beetle" style hands shown in the below examples. The models 4 and 5 movements (the model 4 is shown below) often had spade hands. The Wm KcKinley grade was only made in models 4 & 5.

attachment.jpg attachment.jpg attachment.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-