• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Hampden 21 Jewel Watch info needed

Dutto11

Jul 12, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Country
Region
Hi Guys & Gals,
I recently picked up a very nice 21 jewel Open Face Hampden 18 size (Dueber Watch Co.) watch and was after any information about this type of watch ie: if it is collectable or if it is a nice watch to keep in my collection & what type of quality went into the making of them etc. The serial number is #2563417 which dates it around 1908 and is a model 3
I can't post any pictures of it at the moment as I'm at work and the photos are in my camere at home so I will post them tonight when I get home.
I have recently picked up 2 Hampden 105 21 Jewels 16 size beauties and any discussion would be most greatful as I am not into 18 size watches, mainly 16 size Rail Road grade.
Thanks
Gary

49stude63

Mar 21, 2009
Michigan
Country
Region
Hampden watches are probably under-appreciated and there is no reason this watch isn't RR approved that I know of, it is 18s, 21j, adj 5p, LS. I have a couple of Hampden 18s full plates and they are nicely dmk'd. Nice watch looking forward to your pictures.

HenryB

Jan 13, 2004
San Antonio
Country
The Dueber Watch Co. Grade by Hampden is believed to have 13 variations.
Variations are a combination of 11,15,17, and 21 Jewels, OF/HC/, Finishes and adjustments - non-adjusted, adjusted,adjusted to 5 Positions, and Special adjusted.

Yours is adjusted, also a large number of the 2563xxx series are observed as 21J adjusted to 5 positions.

Hampden did not make that many 21 J and above watches.
My estimates are only about 5.5 % of the Hampden watches were 21J and above.

http://www.nawcc-ch149.com/pw_dbresearch.html

Drill down on the Special Projects- Hampden Jewel listing for the Jeweling numbers.

Although we tend to see a lot of 21J Hampdens on this website, they were not made in any real quantities by Hampden, considering their entire manufactuiring product line.

Obviously the quality is good for a Hampden, being a 21 Jewel.
The top of the line Hampdens were the Special and New Railways (per the pricing advertisements we see).

Dutto11

Jul 12, 2006
Brisbane, Australia
Country
Region
Henry,
Thanks for the great information. I have been wearing my watch for the past couple of days and after I cleaned it is now running very nice and keeping great time.
Cheers
Gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent