Hammond Tripoli Date set help

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by MexicoCollector, Nov 11, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. MexicoCollector

MexicoCollector New Member

Nov 11, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi all, New member and newer collector here. Have done restoration on a few Hammonds some which required more cursing during the process than others. Have received a great deal of learning assistance by viewing posts here and Mr. Shields book so thank you to all.

For those of you that may own a few of the first clocks I started 'learning' with I am happy to report the value of yours has increased via the supply being reduced by one clock, jaja and sorry about that at the same time.

Anyway, I have been searching high and low for an old manual , etc, that would assist me in figuring out how to set the calendar part of a Hammond Tripoli. Photo attached is not of mine but borrowed as I am not near the clock this week so I borrowed off google just to show the model.

As far as I can tell it is in fully functioning order but is quite a complicated mechanism (at least for my level of expertise) which depends on how many clicks the set knob hits for whether you are changing the day or the date , etc. I believe it has 4 stops, all obviously with a specific purpose but I have yet to figure out what and where it should be when the clock is running. I can get the date and day set just fine but dont think i am leaving it set at the right place ion order to get it running along with the clock itself. The clock overall is in very good condition and appears that it was run very little during its time. The movement has the usual gumminess due to old oil which, thanks to Mr. Shields method, has been resumed to good working order. I wish not to have to actually open it up as a previous experience doing so with a fortunately more common Hammond resulted in a life altering disaster the likes of which has never been seen before which will have me finding gears , pinions and clock hands throughout a six block radius for the next 20-30 years. If anyone has any pointers or even an old manual lying about that may be 'safe' for me to attempt in trying it would be greatly appreciated.

On another note, I have a number of clock parts left over from those I have needed to harvest from to create a fully functioning clock. Too many to list each part but make and models I can and would be happy to give them away to anyone in need. Only payment needed would be shipping but have a feeling this would go in a different section, correct?

Thanks a lot everyone and a pleasure to meet you all.

download.jpeg