Hammond Postal Telegraph Restoration

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by ndd8118, Sep 6, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ndd8118

ndd8118 Registered User

Nov 3, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I have a Hammond Postal Telegraph wall clock that needs the motor and movement. I have attached some photos of the clock face and wall mount.

2. harold

harold Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 12, 2001
    mdd818 - I can't see any photos.

3. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    The Hammond "Postal Telegraph" clock is constructed with a single unitized AC electric motor and the clock works all in one unit.

It's not a simple AC electric clock. It has an inertia spring driven motor that attempts to keep the clock running and keeping time for a brief period during electrical outages.

It is not a "simple" repair to investigate a non-functioning unit, locate the problem, repair or replace any worn parts (no new parts available) and re-assemble.

Many available examples have been subjected to "best-effort-fix" by well meaning home craftsmen and rendered well beyond economic repair or restoration to function as originally designed. There is a weakness in the construction, a large fiber gear with fine teeth which if chipped or missing teeth is not replaceable. (end of life for the clock)

Unless you can find a repairer who is prepared to undertake and investigate the cost to you will have to consider learning how to repair it yourself. Most repairers will not accept these older electric clocks for repair without a substantial cash deposit for analysis. Most will simply advise, "not worth repair" because of the amount of time and effort needed.

I realize that my opinion is not what you want to hear. Others may advise differently.

4. Charles Vesser

Charles Vesser Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    The Hammond Postal Clock had 2 movements: Bichronous and Synchronous. I can help you with this clock ONLY if you have your old movement. I need to know which movement your clock has. The clock will need to be cleaned, the coil is usually bad and the fiber turn to start wheel will be stripped. I need to know which movement you have before I can offer help or advice.

5. AlHibbert

AlHibbert New Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Country Flag:
    Hi New here to the group, I have this Postal Telegraph clock, I am reading all that I can find. but do not see any topics on removing what looks to be allen wrench screw to open the gear box, I have tried some small screw drivers, allen wrenches.. and can not remove the motor back... using a lope, I Can not tell what to use to remove what looks to be 3 deep threaeded somethings to open the back