Hammond Gregory/Skyscraper missing part

potoooooooo

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Hey everybody, first time poster here. Just picked up a skyscraper at an estate sale this weekend, it's my first antique clock and I'm loving it. I oiled the motor and it runs beautifully. Only problem is that the day of the week doesn't change with the date. The tab for pushing the cylinder appears to be broken off.

If any of you out there has a gregory and can get some photos of this part or some measurements I'll be able to fix this no problem, but I need some reference.

By the way I wouldn't have been able to fix my motor if not for the info on this site, so thank you guys :)

Note: The missing tab is the tab on the middle right in the second image. There are supposed to be two, but I only have one.

IMG_2963.jpeg IMG_2964.jpeg

Allan Wolff

NAWCC Member
Mar 17, 2005
Tulsa, OK
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum!
I had the same issue with mine! Tearing it down to get a photo is more work than necessary. The missing tab is just like the one that is still there. I just took an old clock mainspring and trimmed it to the same overall length and width. Then cut a slot on one end with a Dremel cutoff wheel to form the 2 tabs. Reattach the new part with rivets or 2 small screws. You may need to fiddle with the length of the tabs to get the day and date to advance the correct amount.
Allan

Reactions: potoooooooo

potoooooooo

Mar 2, 2021
Country
Awesome, that's good news. I appreciate the comment. I was worried there was some sort of precise alignment required, but I'm glad to hear it's a pretty simple thing. I'll keep an eye out for suitable replacement material and post if I ever get it fixed. Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Remco
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre