• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Hammond Gregory Hand Removal

steve102

Sep 23, 2009
I need to remove the seconds hand from a Hammond Gregory clock but I can't work out whether it is a push fit or has a threaded retaining nut. I dont want to risk damaging it so can anyone help?

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

Ingulphus

May 29, 2006
Oakland, CA
Country
Region
Gently and carefully (so as not to bend it) rotating the hand counterclockwise should tell you the answer - if it's a friction fit, turning it should cause any problems. (Or wait for someone who actually knows about these clocks to provide the correct answer!)

steve102

Sep 23, 2009
Gently and carefully (so as not to bend it) rotating the hand counterclockwise should tell you the answer - if it's a friction fit, turning it should cause any problems. (Or wait for someone who actually knows about these clocks to provide the correct answer!)
Thanks for the advice. I tried rotating the hand but it is firmly attached to the shaft and will not move.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
Hold the spin knob in the back and turn the second hand counter clockwise it should loosen right up, and come off. You may have to use some pliers to hold the spin knob. But hold the spin knob. If it is still hard to get off, try a small drop of clock oil and wait about 5 minutes, and try again.

Russell

Last edited:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
Hold the spin knob in the back and turn the second hand counter clockwise it should loosen right up, and come off. You may have to use some pliers to hold the spin knob. But hold the spin knob. If it is still hard to get off, try a small drop of clock oil and wait about 5 minutes, and try again.

Russell
The suggested method sounds good on the surface but I'm not sure that fiber/plastic gears might get stripped. :excited:

I don't have a Hammond Gregory model open to inspect but after carefully examination of the Hammond Bichronous movement I would advise against the technique.

In the Bichronous movement, the spin-to-start pinion engages with a fiber/plastic wheel when pulled and spinned. There is great risk of stripped teeth owing to the high gear ratio.

rlwindle

Mar 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Country
Region
The suggested method sounds good on the surface but I'm not sure that fiber/plastic gears might get stripped. :excited:

I don't have a Hammond Gregory model open to inspect but after carefully examination of the Hammond Bichronous movement I would advise against the technique.

In the Bichronous movement, the spin-to-start pinion engages with a fiber/plastic wheel when pulled and spinned. There is great risk of stripped teeth owing to the high gear ratio.
This procedure is documented in the book Hammond Synchronos Clocks Maintenance and Repairs by Craig Shields, page 41, step #5.
I used this method on both of my Gregories without any problem. My clocks are cleaned and oiled and running fine. That is the reason you hold the spin knob to keep the fiber plastic gear in the closed rotor from moving while removing the second hand, the minute and hour hands will pull right out after the second hand is removed.

Russell

Last edited:

eskmill

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 24, 2000
Region
No doubt there are several schemes for removing clock hands. But to avoid disappointment, it is wise to know how the clock hand is attached. Russel is right; the sweep hand on the Hammond Gregory clock is pressed on and will slip off with a proper tool or by using the scheme in Craig Shield's book.

However, I have observed on the Hammond Bichronous movement, the sweep seconds hand is threaded and must be rotated anti-clockwise to remove.

Below is a snapshot of a simply made clock hand remover that I prefer and used successfully on a Hammond Gregory.

Attachments