• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

$ Hammond Electric Clock

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
Any idea as to value? What is the significance of the date on the dial? It's running well and keeping time.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_7864a.JPG IMG_7865a.JPG IMG_7867a.JPG

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
I was able to locate this model online at: http://www.organhouse.com/wood_cased_models.htm. You'll need to scroll down the "Gothic" which I assume is simply the descriptive name of the model.

You can see that the reference model lacks your "CJA 1930" initials-date. Quick and dirty search engine results come up with Kennard's "Classical Junior Academy" for gifted students which was dedicated in 1930. See: http://www.kennardcja.com/index.php?p=2_2_History That is PURE conjecture on my part! It could be (and probably is) complete coincidence, but I thought it interesting especially in view of the fact that Laurens Hammond was quite gifted himself.

On 9/2/2012, one of these models (without the date/initials) sold on eBay for $76
Described as "Vintage Art Deco Hammond Gothic Mantle Shelf Clock Walnut Body Runs Perfect Mint" Item No. 251140271419
Here is one of the photos from the listing:
Hammond_GothicB_1.jpg

There was also one that sold 07/29/2012 for $39.95 on eBay which was not in running condition, also without the date/initials:
Hammond_GothicB_2.jpg

I'm sure you can find more examples online searching for "Hammond Gothic Clock".
I see they are listed as "Gothic B" on eBay.

Hopefully someone can help you with more definitive information on the date/initials.

Regards,

Bruce

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
Thank you very much for the detailed response! The first thing I thought of when I saw the initials was Junior Achievement, so it turns out I was close.
I keep hoping the prices will come up on these beautiful old electric clocks, they seem to be very under appreciated.