• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hammer "On the Rise"

D

DJDasher

Over the weekend, I re-assembled a Seth Thomas french rack system chiming clock. Other than for the fact that I think that I have the wrong pendulum (which is another matter that I'm addressing), I think that I have assembled the movement with the gong hammer "on the rise". For one thing, when the hammer wheel turns, I get only a slight downward movement of the gong hammer. Certainly not enough to strike the gong. Secondly (and I read this test somewhere), if I push down on the gong hammer, the chime train will move in reverse. Obviously, something is not right in Seth Thomas land.

Can someone explain the proper way to make this adjustment? If I let down the springs completely, I'm fairly sure that I can "sneak" the plates open slightly on the chime side to make the adjustment. I just don't know how this adjustment is made. Is it a matter of changing the position of the hammer wheel in relation to the other wheels?

Would anyone care to take a shot at explaining this?

Thanks,

Dennis

D

DJDasher

Over the weekend, I re-assembled a Seth Thomas french rack system chiming clock. Other than for the fact that I think that I have the wrong pendulum (which is another matter that I'm addressing), I think that I have assembled the movement with the gong hammer "on the rise". For one thing, when the hammer wheel turns, I get only a slight downward movement of the gong hammer. Certainly not enough to strike the gong. Secondly (and I read this test somewhere), if I push down on the gong hammer, the chime train will move in reverse. Obviously, something is not right in Seth Thomas land.

Can someone explain the proper way to make this adjustment? If I let down the springs completely, I'm fairly sure that I can "sneak" the plates open slightly on the chime side to make the adjustment. I just don't know how this adjustment is made. Is it a matter of changing the position of the hammer wheel in relation to the other wheels?

Would anyone care to take a shot at explaining this?

Thanks,

Dennis

neighmond

Jan 31, 2003
Rural Iowa
Country
Region
Why not take the gathering pallet up 90 degrees counter clockwise?

Every man must have a purpose to strive for
A cause to fight for
A dream to live for
Because
A man without a dream is dead.

J

jparker

I agree with Phil. I am sure you are referring to a chime mechanism and not a striking movement. On a striking movement the star wheel that lifts the hammer is what you need to readjust (some, but not all, star wheels will pivot on the arbor). On a chime clock, there may be a wheel on the outside of the back plate that has a small screw. This screw can be lossened, pardon my english, and the wheel turned to take pressure off the chime hammer. If your movement has no wheel of this type, then you will have to go between the plates. Jim

D

DJDasher

Jim,

I am referring to a striking movement. As I understand it, I will have to let down the power and then readjust the wheel that operates the gong hammer. Are there any tips as to how this should look?

How does moving the gathering pallet alleviate the problem?

Dennis

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TanyaJune
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-