• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

hammer on the rise / hammer not droped.

gordon

Mar 7, 2007
Canton, Michigan 48187
Country
Hello All

I have a tallcase with a Kieninger MS 002 movement with hammers on the rise and one hammer not geting dropped.

Could the pin barrel's lift cams have been shifted? If so how could they be re-alined

This movement is a simple westminster chime only. Each of the 4 cams on the pin barrel are marked 1-4. One is on the outside and 4 is on the inside next to the rear plate. After the quarter hour the hammers drop in decendig order (4,3,2,1).

On the quarter hour chime #4 hammer is on the rise. For the half hour and 3/4 hour,and the hour chim # 3 hammer is on the rise. The worst thing is at the end of the half hour chime hammer #1 does not get dropped. If the hammers on the rise are eliminate I have more hammers not getting dropped at the end of their chime sequence.

I have shortened the chime's warning pin travle to only about 1/4 turn of warrning run. Still the above hammers are on the rise.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Gordon

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Sounds to me like the pin barrel drive gear needs adjusted.

Tom Kloss

NAWCC Member
Donor
Dec 5, 2003
N.E. Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Hi Gordon

Bangster is correct. When chime sequence has completed none of the hammers should be on the lift or held up. They all should be dropped to the neutral position.

T.J. Kloss :cool:

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
After one of the chimes is completed...
Loosen the drive gear setscrew.
Turn the gear (free of the shaft) until all hammers are dropped.
Re-tighten setscrew on the shaft. :thumb:

bangster

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
... and check on all four quarters - pin barrels are sometimes not that accurate.
Put the warning run time back to where it was.

gordon

Mar 7, 2007
Canton, Michigan 48187
Country
Hello

If I move the pin barrel one way their are hammers on the rise when the chime train goes in to warrning. If I move the pin barrel in the other direction I have more hammers not droped at the end their chime sequence.

Never had this problem befor when setting up dozens of triple chime movements.

Gordon

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Ooh, that's weird. Maybe some bent hammer-tails? Are the pin wheels assembled in the right order? Maybe needs a shorter warning run? Nah, you tried that. How does the train lock at the end of the run? Hook onto locking cam notch? Worn pivots in there somewhere? (not sharp enough lock)?
Hmm. Can we see a picture?

Last edited:

gordon

Mar 7, 2007
Canton, Michigan 48187
Country
Hello Bangster

Yes, it's weird. Maybe some bent hammer-tails? No the hammer tails are stable. Are the pin wheels assembled in the right order? I beleave they are. Maybe needs a shorter warning run? Nah, you tried that. How does the train lock at the end of the run? Hook onto locking cam notch? Yes Hook onto locking cam notch. Worn pivots in there somewhere? All looks okay. (not sharp enough lock)? The lock seems to be sharp.
Hmm. Can we see a picture? Yes.

The movement functions the same as the Kieninger in Steve Conovers "Chiming clocks" book.

Gordon Webb

Attachments

gordon

Mar 7, 2007
Canton, Michigan 48187
Country
Hello

I never noticed their are four pins that are in the reverce order 1234 and 4321 on pin barrel for the westmister chimes. I first set it up so the inside hammer picked up first and the others followed to the outside. I beleve it is correct now with the outside hammer picking up first and the rest following to the inside.

How did I ever get it correct before? The more I think I know the more I realize I have alot to learn

Thank you

Gordon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-