Hammer arrangement?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by tracerjack, Mar 8, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The auction is long over, so now I can post my question. I almost bid on this HAC. The case was beautiful, and the dial marked with the crossed arrows. But, the movement wasn't, and that along with the hammer arrangement held me back. At first I thought it wasn't an original movement, what with the dimpled plates like a Hermle, no crossed arrows, and the extra clips around the barrel arbors, plus that strange hammer arrangement. But, after searching around, I became convinced the movement was a more modern HAC movement despite the lack of their logo. However, the hammer arrangement is something I have never seen, and I couldn't find another like it in all my searching. With no access to the original photos, I made a crude outline drawing that shows the arrangement. The hour hammer seems to be curved around and under the Westminster ones in order to reach the proper chime rod, but I couldn't tell for sure from the dark photo. There was five rods, so I'm assuming that's where the fifth hammer is. Hoping someone has seen this before so that next time I come across a beautiful HAC case with a movement like this, I can bid with some confidence.
    hammers HAC.jpg

gleber likes this.
  2. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    With enough views and no replies, I’m going to assume no one has seen a hammer arrangement like this with the hammers turned back on themselves. Even though the hammer wires were cleanly bent, it just looked “wrong” to me, so I’m going with my gut feeling. In this instance, I’m viewing no replies as my answer.

3. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    looks wrong... why not just use shorter straighter lengths to accomplish the same thing more directly?

4. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Typical setup for HAC brand clocks that went to the British trade, the curly hammers giving a lighter sound and helped to keep space restrictions down with the small cases. The same movements came with a few different hammer configurations and rod lengths, all sounding different from one another. Rods are not in sequential order for the hour strike pickup - it is 3-4-2-1 with 1 being the longest rod.

bruce linde likes this.
  5. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I don't remember seeing this before, but I'm impressed with the hand drawing.

Tom

6. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    i saw a similar drawing at a band meeting recently...

spinal-tap-napkin-620x414.jpg

7. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Now that's museum quality right there! :confused:

8. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    didn't mean to take away from tracerjack's artistic abilities...

that's a (famous in some circles) sketch of a proposed set piece for the band in 'spinal tap'... a spot-on parody of being rock musicians.

the movie is a fake documentary ('mockumentary') about a band of not-the-sharpest-tools-in-the-shed heavy metal musicians attempting a comeback after little to no success since original 'hits' decades ago. they're in a restaurant trying to come up with a gimmick for the new tour, and someone suggests stonehenge. the lead guitar player sketches a prop, but mistakenly uses the inches mark (") instead of feet ('). because of delays in production, they don't see the final result until it's lowered onto stage in their big comeback performance... perhaps less impressive than originally hoped for. :cool:

This Is Spinal Tap - Wikipedia

while perhaps not to everyone's taste, every professional musician in the world saw reflections of themselves... and especially how (over)serious we can get in the process.

we now resume our regularly scheduled programming.

gleber likes this.
  9. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ha! I'm not a big movie buff, but reading your description made me laugh.

Tom

10. bruce linde

NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    every musician who saw that movies laughed at how brilliantly the parodied all of us... and cringed. :cool:

11. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the info, chimeclockfan. Then, the hammer arrangement is original to the clock case I saw, which did have limited space, but I’m with Bruce. Very strange looking. I wonder how well they worked that way? The original clock auctioned for far more than I could pay, but given another chance, I could bid with more confidence. Plus, I thought This is Spinal Tap was great.

12. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The hammers worked fine but you get a lighter, quieter chime compared to the movements with Junghans' regular mallet hammers. These clocks were really made by Junghans during the 1930's but sold under the HAC name for regional brand familiarity - the HAC name, movement patterns, and trademark stuck around long after the actual company got absorbed by Junghans. HAC pre-Junghans did not actually make many chime movements besides the famous 3/4 Westminsters.

While it's not entirely indicative of how it will sound in person (it's always better), here's a nice video of a dual chime clock with the curly hammers:

PatH likes this.
  13. tracerjack

NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for posting the video. Interesting to see how the hammers moved. For me, they still have an odd look, but since they are hidden from view and work, that’s a moot point. Thanks to all others who responded as well.