Hamilton wrist watch

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
What can anyone tell me about this Hamilton wrist watch? It is 17 jewels, unadjusted, swiss made, shock resistant, has a code HVL on the balance cock. Is the box original? I took a flyer on it because it was clean inside, ran well since yesterday when I wound it in the antique store, but I probably paid too much. I looked up the prices in Shugart before purchasing so am more interested in what the movement is called if it even has a name. 86800.jpg 86801.jpg 86802.jpg 86803.jpg

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
This from the Ranfft archive.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Hamilton_62

Sometimes we pick things up at bargain basement prices, and sometimes we don't. If vintage watches are simply a commodity to be bought and re-sold at a profit, we walk when we don't like the price. But if it's destined to be a keeper, we tend to not look so critically at the price. That's perhaps one difference between being a dealer and being a collector. I talked to a dealer last week who had been approached by a guy with a real nice 992B he wanted to sell. He was asking $ 35.00! Needless to say.................!

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I am getting quite a collection of vintage watches, wristies that is.I like them and have my favourites.Richie if you bought this just because you liked it that is good.
I have that Crown i posted recently that is around the same era as your Hamilton.
I dont plan really to make money on my watches but i will make a bit if i sell some.The watches like your watch Richie from the 50 and 60,s are nice watches and look and work well.
Most would not hesitate to pick up a rr pocket watch at 30 dollars.
I guess i wish i knew more about your Hamilton Richie.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I just got done cleaning the bracelet and polishing the bezel, it really looks nice. I was just interested to see if it was the original box if it would bring any premium over just the watch. I saw one box on the flea for 25 but don't know if anyone bought it. I know I overpaid for this watch.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I would think with the box it can add value.I am salivating still over my Westfield lol.

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
I looked around last night and found that the band on this watch is a Kreisler coffin type which appears to be getting quite a premium if you want a new old stock one. It all started when I went to find one cover for one link on the band on the inner wrist side which is not noticeable unless you are looking, almost had sticker shock. Any one know of a source for parts for one of these bands?

tkarter

Apr 14, 2011
richiec;539483 said:
What can anyone tell me about this Hamilton wrist watch? It is 17 jewels, unadjusted, swiss made, shock resistant, has a code HVL on the balance cock. Is the box original? I took a flyer on it because it was clean inside, ran well since yesterday when I wound it in the antique store, but I probably paid too much. I looked up the prices in Shugart before purchasing so am more interested in what the movement is called if it even has a name.
Would you mind looking at the movement number? Should be stamped near the balance cock. I am working on one like it and need some parts.

tk

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
richiec;539483 said:
What can anyone tell me about this Hamilton wrist watch? It is 17 jewels, unadjusted, swiss made, shock resistant, has a code HVL on the balance cock. Is the box original? I took a flyer on it because it was clean inside, ran well since yesterday when I wound it in the antique store, but I probably paid too much. I looked up the prices in Shugart before purchasing so am more interested in what the movement is called if it even has a name.
Richie, if I'm reading the grade number correctly (on the train bridge between the "Hamilton Watch Co." marking and the seventeen jewel marking) it is Hamilton grade 671. If that is correct, then my C&E Marshall Handy Manual indicates that the Hamilton grade 671 uses an Eta (calibre) 1080 movement. Although the maker's marking is hidden under the balance wheel near the edge of the movement (I can just make out the Ebauches group shield but the balance rim prevents me from seeing what's inside it) I'm pretty sure you'll find that it says ETA, because I can just make out most of "1080" under the balance. Anyway, you should be able to check that out yourself, maybe by holding the watch at an angle and looking under the balance rim so you won't have to remove the balance.

What your eyes see as HVL on the balance cock is actually HYL, which identifies Hamilton as the U.S. importer....no surprise there. It looks like a nice, clean movement, at least insofar as my tired, old eyes can tell.

And tkarter, just because your movement might look like Richies, don't assume that it is the same, especially when it comes to ordering parts. Over the years Eta has made a large variety of movements, and many of them share certain "family" characteristics but differ in size or other small but important ways. So before you order any parts, check your movement's markings. They might be under the balance wheel, as on Richie's watch, or perhaps on the main (pillar) plate under the dial. If you can't find the markings, you might have to post a photo here of the back (top) side of the movement, and also an under-the-dial view of the movement, showing the setting mechanism. Then maybe someone can help ID your movement.

Larry Treiman

Last edited:

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Larry, actually a 1081 movement. Thanks for asking and it is HYL. It is nice and clean and keeps excellent time. Except for the one missing link cover, the bracelet is really nice, looks like hell if one link is removed so I put it back in again. Unfortunately, can't afford a NOS replacement at about $275.

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
richiec;549632 said:
Larry, actually a 1081 movement. Thanks for asking and it is HYL. It is nice and clean and keeps excellent time. Except for the one missing link cover, the bracelet is really nice, looks like hell if one link is removed so I put it back in again. Unfortunately, can't afford a NOS replacement at about $275.
Hi Richie,

I got the cal. 1080 from the Hamilton section of the Marshall Handy Manual where it says that the grade 671 is a 10-1/2 ligne Eta 1080. I just took a close squint at your photo fully enlarged, and "think" I see the bottom of an 0 after the 8, perhaps overstamped with a 1. The Eta section lumps the 1080 and 1081 together and indicates that one is 10-1/2 lignes while the other is 11-1/2 lignes, but they are not absolutely specific as to which is which. Then I dug out my c.1961 Hamilton materials catalog, which says the grade 671 is 11-1/2 lignes, not 10-1/2 lignes as it says in the Marshall manual. But Hamilton does not give the maker or caliber.

I wouldn't be surprised if Doug Sinclair can come up with a catalog that has still different information!

Ahhhhh, the hell with it!

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Welllll, at least Roland has confirmed what I thought, i.e., that the Eta cal. 1081 is the same as the cal. 1080, but the 1081 is the larger one (11-1/2 lignes). Unfortunately, Richie's watch doesn't look exactly like the 1080 or 1081 watches that Roland pictured, but that's because different style bridges were used, as Roland points out.

I see that in my last post (above), in my second reference to Richie's 671, I inverted the 6 into a 9 and made it into a 971. That's unfortunate because there is already enough confusion surrounding the Hamilton grade 971. The grade 971 was originally a 16-size, 21-jewel, pendant-set, hunting case movement.

Many years later the grade number 971, unbeknownst to the folks at Hamilton (U.S.A.) in Lancaster, PA, was applied by the folks at the Hamilton-owned Buren Watch Co. factory in Switzerland to Hamilton-marked, 16-size (19-ligne), 23-jewel, lever-set, open-face watches being supplied by Buren to H. Steele in Mexico for use as standard watches on the Mexican railroads. Eventually the Swiss Buren Hamilton 23-jewel grade 971 caused some confusion and, no doubt, consternation at Hamilton (U.S.A.), especially in the materials department, until things got sorted out. 'Nuff said on that!

If you are unfortunate enough to re-read my last post (above), when you get to my erroneous reference to 971, please change the 9 back into a 6 in your mind to avoid any confusion or consternation here. <];>)

Thankyouverymuch!

Larry Treiman

Last edited:

Cary Hurt

NAWCC Member
Dec 16, 2005
Country
Region
Larry,

I corrected the 971 miscue in the earlier post (to attempt to avoid confusion for those who may read that post in isolation), but am leaving your later explanation intact, as I think it's an interesting and pertinent bit of information.

Hopefully this doesn't muddy things further...

Cary

Larry Treiman

Jan 18, 2009
So. Calif.
Thanks, Cary,

It didn't occur to me to notify you to correct it, and I would hate to bother you for something small. In fact, I'm not sure what the preferred way is to bring something to a moderator's attention!?!?

Larry

richiec

NAWCC Member
Feb 24, 2007
Brick, Ocean, NJ
Country
Region
Larry, thanks for the history lesson, very interesting. Thanks for all the info, now to digest it and mark it down. Either way, it runs well, keeps almost perfect time, looks great as long as you don't see the one missing link cover, it's a keeper.