Hamilton Wheatland #86 340-020 not working

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Tylerj, Aug 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tylerj

Tylerj Registered User

Aug 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hey! I have inherited the clock above which was a gift to my grandfather from General Motors many years ago. I have wound all three springs, and the clock will chime if I turn the chime off then back on, but will not keep time at all. The hands never move. I am hoping there is an easy fix? All help is greatly appreciated!!!
    Tyler

Attached Files:

2. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No easy fix and not cheap either but it is possible to either restore the unit you have or replace it with a new one. Either one should be done by a qualified repair person. If you could give us you city and state we could be more helpful.

3. Tylerj

Tylerj Registered User

Aug 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I'm in Kansas City, Mo

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does the floating balance move at all? You may be able to start it with a small push.

5. Tylerj

Tylerj Registered User

Aug 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I'm not too familiar with the terminology, sorry, just learning. What is the floating balance? Is that the round silver thing that rotates back and forth?

6. Tylerj

Tylerj Registered User

Aug 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I just googled it, yes the floating balance moves freely, but does not keep moving. I give it a gentle nudge and it starts to rotate, but then quickly stops.

7. Tylerj

Tylerj Registered User

Aug 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Well, thanks to Harold Bain!! The clock is working again after a few gentle nudges to the floating balance!! However it is not chiming anymore... Which isn't the end of the world, but I may have to keep looking in to it

8. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Try: CLOCK SHOP-MO
    6207 S. OAK
    KANSAS CITY, MO 641132241

Tell them I sent you.

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Well, you may want to learn a bit of basic clock repair and service?
    At a minimum you will need to learn how to remove your hands and movement, then you would need to learn how to let down your mainsprings and check for wear. Then (if your clock is not totally worn out) you would need to learn how to oil it properly.
    This might allow you to have a running clock for a while. But IMOE, the two options that Mark gave you in the first post are your only good long term options.
    Willie X

10. R. Croswell

R. Croswell Registered User

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Looking carefully at the picture, this clock does not appear to have a 'floating balance' but has the hairspring type balance (probably a good thing). The bigger question is how many years has it been since it was serviced and oiled? and how many years has it sat without running? The symptoms mentioned are typical of a clock needing to be cleaned and which are about the same as for a clock that is worn out. This not a very good clock on which to learn clock repair as it has a great many parts and the usual repairs (even proper cleaning) require special tools. I agree with Mark, take the clock to a qualified clock shop for an evaluation and estimate. They can check the date code and determine if your clock has the problematic plated pivots issue, or if it just needs to be cleaned and oiled. Be sure to get a price for both repair and to replace the movement.

RC

11. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I suppose that would indicate that the clock has been serviced at some point, as it originally, in 1986, would have had a floating balance.

12. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    RC & Harold,
    After RC's post I was kinda trying to figure that one out too. I first thought that case was a good bit older, most of them that I see are, and the movement was a replacement. But, after studying the movement and case label, both show a regular hairspring balance which, I thought, debuted in 1988. So, I guess the movement and clock are from 1986 and the hairspring balance came before 1988??
    Another clock puzzle ... Ha
    Willie X

13. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That would seem to be a reasonable assumption, which raises the question what else (other than swapping out the balance) may have been done during the service.

RC

14. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    RC,
    I thought about that too but the label also shows a hairspring balance.
    Willie X

15. R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
    Male
    Trappe, Md.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good observation! Perhaps Mark can clarify just when the floating balance was abandoned in favor of the hairspring balance.

RC

16. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recall in the recesses of my mind (which aren't always reliable anymore ;)) that both the floating balance and the hairspring were options for awhile, and both were sold concurrently as replacement parts. Maybe Mark can confirm (or not).

17. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    From the photo it looks as if the bar that stops the hammers is down across the hammers. It is helpfully marked 'lift', so try lifting it up so that it does not obstruct the hammers.

JTD