• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Hamilton Watch - Help Identifying the type and how to open to change the battery

Igotzbigclockz

New User
Oct 16, 2021
Country
Hello all,

I'm heading into uncharted territory...watch repair. My great grandfather and grandfather were in the watch/jewelry business and I have all their old vintage tools and parts. It's a real treasure trove for sure. I've got the first Accutron. It came with the class my grandfather took to learn how to repair the watches. Ah, I digress. I'm here to find out about this Hamilton...but I'm ADHD so we'll take a few side trips during this venture.

Can you tell me how to open this bad boy from these pictures? I've attempted to pry, lightly from the back, and I've also tried, lightly, to pop the stem and use a crystal lift. I made no headway with either, mostly because I don't want to damage anything.

Thank you!! I look forward to solving this mystery together! :D

1634375869192.png 1634375898301.png

Reactions: Rick Hufnagel

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know that watch but from the pictures I think it is safe to say it is not a screw on back. This is based on the bump which must cover something inside (battery?) which would be ruined if the back was screwed on.......

The battery must have been changed several times during its life. There seems to be some marks on the back of the case. Could be failed attempts to open the watch or marks left from when the back was actually preyed off..... If you follow the rim of the back you should be able to find a small opening where a case opener would fit.......

Chris Radek

NAWCC Member
Apr 13, 2014
Lincoln, NE, USA
timeguy.com
Country
Some of these are one-piece cases that open from the front. It probably has a 505 movement in it. It is easy to screw up, I'd recommend sending it to a watchmaker. If you intend to use it (and I think you should, because it's beautiful) you should get it serviced.

4thdimension

NAWCC Member
Oct 18, 2001
Country
Region
It is always best to have the watch in hand to be certain but I believe the area around the crown gives the best clue. It looks like one of those cases where you hold the lugs and carefully push on the crystal with your thumbs. The movement and case back should push out the back though the bezel. If you don’t observe immediate progress stop and try something else! If it does work you will need to pry the crystal off to access the movement. The kind of case I’m describing is more water resistant than a typical snap back case. Good luck!-Cort

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Great Leslie
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-