Hamilton Wall Clock Movement (Japan)

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by George Meerdo, Feb 5, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. George Meerdo

George Meerdo Registered User

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi! I know none of us like working on these movements, but I have an elderly lady that asked me to help her fix her late husband's clock as it always reminds her of him. I despise these movements since they are dangerous to fix and hard to locate parts, but since this one was quite personal I thought I'd reach out for any advice. I'm looking for a 38 tooth escape wheel and cannot locate one anywhere (typical resources, Timesavers, Ronell, eBay, etc.). Any thoughts? It's one of those old 1970's style chrome plated movements with no numbers on it. I can attach photos when I get home if needed. I know it's a long shot but thought it worth the try. I mentioned converting to quartz, but I could tell she was quite saddened by the thought. These charity cases are always tough and typically backfire, especially when there is a lot of evidence it's been worked on (poorly) before! Thanks all!!

2. lpbp

lpbp Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    We need to see pictures front and back, and any writing or numbers on movement.,

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    W
    What's wrong with the escape wheel? Most of the time they can be fixed.

Uhralt

4. George Meerdo

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    #4 George Meerdo, Feb 6, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    Here you go. I took a third pic of the escape wheel. You can see it's pretty gnarly (talk about a bad repair attempt). I can pop it out if it would help. Appreciate any guidance possible. I found a cuckoo clock movement on eBay that looks somewhat similar but the pictures don't help and the seller is not responsive or helpful.

IMG_E8182[1].JPG IMG_E8183[1].JPG IMG_E8184[1].JPG

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Just so you know - we are forbidden to link any auctions unless they are completed ones. A moderator will probably remove this link as it is current.

JTD

6. George Meerdo

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Uhralt. Take a look at the pic I attached. Fixing it is my last move if I can't find one. I'm assuming the mainspring probably broke at some point and damaged many of the teeth. Again, this is a charity case, so I didn't want to put a ton of labor hours into it if I could avoid it.

7. George Meerdo

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Shoot I'm sorry. Probably should have just used one of their picks. My utmost apologies. I removed the link.

8. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Well done and quick reactions!

JTD

9. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That wheel is repairable, unless it's worse on the other side ... This damage is caused by a worn through verge or a previous repairer who unfortunately monkeyed up your escapement. These movements are common but it is usually hard to find an old movement that has a good match on escapement parts. Lots of movements look the same but on close examination they rarely are.
    Willie X

10. George Meerdo

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Willie X. I think that's the path I'm on. Yes, it's pretty damaged, not only from whatever had originally hit it but also some very poor repair attempts. Was just hoping someone might have something lying around in a box (maybe I'm the only parts hoarder - at least my wife thinks so) that they were willing to part with. Appreciate everyone's insight!

11. George Meerdo

Feb 5, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Fixed the escape wheel and it's back to purring like a champ. Thanks everyone for your help!

IMG_8185.JPG