Hamilton "Skyscraper". How much oil should be filled in the rotor?

Discussion in 'Electric Horology' started by Uhralt, Oct 21, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Service of the Hamilton "Skyscraper" electric calendar clock includes removing of the old oil and crap inside the rotor. This means removing a soldered on small rivet from the rotor case. This will open a small hole through which a cleaner like carburetor cleaner can be filled. That's where I am right now. I have sprayed in the carburetor cleaner and let it drip out of the hole several times until it came out clean. There was a lot of black stuff that initially came out. It is recommended to fill in a light synthetic oil, like Mobil1-20 after cleaning. The question is how much? I searched the web and found one guy who used 1.5 ml. Another person, who claimed to have serviced over 40 of these rotors, uses "one and a half teaspoon", which translates to 7.5 ml. What is correct? Does anyone here have experience with these rotors?

Uhralt

2. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to put some conclusion to my question should somebody else try to do the same thing: In the absence of any responses I have put 6 ml of Mobil 1 0-20 into the rotor using a syringe. The clock has been running fine since then. Before the service it used to suddenly stop about once a day.

Uhralt

3. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As an update: The clock has been running for a week now without any stoppage. The 6 ml of oil seem to work well.

Uhralt

Dave T likes this.
  4. Dave T

Dave T Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 8, 2011
    retired accountant
    NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I performed the same procedure on my old Hammond, and as I recall it also called for the same quantity. It was difficult to know exactly how much I added, but it's been going strong for over two years now.

5. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's re-assuring! Thank you.

Uhralt

6. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just noticed that I called the clock a "Hamilton", both in the title of this thread and in the text. Of course, it is the "Hammond" Gregory skyscraper. Maybe a moderator can change the title.

Thanks,
    Uhralt