Hamilton Showcases

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Harvey Mintz, Jun 19, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No, not the Display back watch cases.

My wife and I went to an auction a couple weeks ago, and bought a nice walnut watch display cabinet, which we'll use to display our 16 size Hamilton watches at the National. We hadn't bothered to open it up before placing the bid, and when we got it home and opened it, we saw an interesting metal plaque on the inside of the door. I've never seen one before - has anyone got any information on these?

DSC02592.jpg DSC02591.jpg DSC02590.jpg

The labels for watches in the showcase are ours - the watches will be on the pegs at the National (except for the watches that come in boxes - for those, the labels are just place holders)

2. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    To answer your question, NO.

The 1953 date is the key.

Looks like some sort of display to the public or agents to show their history of pocket watches.

At this late date the only PW they were producing were mostly Swiss based 12s and some 992B & 950B's.

If you fill it up you would have something. If you need stock, I can supply it!

3. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nit-picking, but in 1953 Hamilton was making 950Bs, 992Bs, Swiss movement sz.16 Traffic Specials and size 10 pocket watches. No size 12 PWs.

4. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes you are.

Do you feel better now?

Do you want to post the '53 catalouge?

This message board can be a nit picking contest at times for no other reason than for someone to POST.

5. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.
    #5 Larry Treiman, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    OH BOY!! A nitpicking contest!

How can I pass this up? I'm always eager to sharpen my nitpicking skills! <];>)

The domestic 10-size grades 917 and 921 were in production until 1954. After that, Hamilton imported a 10-size (approx.) Cortebert movement to take the place of the 917, and then upgraded what had been the domestic 917 into the "new" 23-jewel domestic 10-size grade 945, which was still in the 1968-69 Hamilton catalog, as was the 17-jewel Swiss 10-size. Oh yeah, I believe that the 4992B was being produced until at least past 1957.....if you can believe Lowell Halligan. And the same was true for the 35-size, 21-jewel Model (or grade?) 22 according to Halligan. Unfortunately, some of Halligan's documents were a treasure trove for nitpickers!

How do we know that those showcases were for some historical display of pocket watches. The number on the subject case appears to be 3909!; well, I actually can't tell for sure what that is after the second 9......dang it! That would be a really large number of showcases for historical displays; I don't think that Hamilton had anywhere near enough watches in their historical collection! I guess that leaves an opening for some other nitpicker; gee, I HATE it when that happens! I'll even leave the typo nit for someone else. How uncharacteristically generous of me!

This has been fun! We really should do it more often. Maybe we could alternate between a "Pick On The Moderators" day and a "Pick On The Newbies" day. Nah! That would be cruel. Let's just stick with the Mods! And let's not forget the Administrators. What do you think, Tom? Can we count on you to contribute a few nits for us to pick?

Larry Treiman
    Self-appointed "Nitpicker-in-Chief"

6. Harvey Mintz

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 Harvey Mintz, Jun 19, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    Larry -

The number appears to be 39091, although the space between the "9" and the "1" appears to be a bit tighter than you would expect. I suspect this is an inventory number, and is not connected to the number of showcases they may have made (or had made for them). The hooks appear to be original, but then again they may have been added at a later date - I can't tell.

BTW - if the 1953 date is the date the inventory was taken and the number assigned, that tells us absolutely nothing about when the case may have been made.

Jim -

Thanks for the offer, but you've already supplied a number of the watches that go into this showcase. And, I believe I already have one of each grade (plus a few duplicates just because), so I don't actually need any more. :)

On the other hand, if you have a spare 11J open face watch available, we can talk.

Harvey J. Mintz

7. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Great item Harvey.. congrats.

When I first saw the thread I thought of the possibility of these being something from a Hamilton company that made filing systems... but your images and the tag got me out of that one quicky... ( have seen drawer pulls on evay with 'hamilton' on them)..

Will throw this spit wad out there...
    I believe Rhett had reported in the past that Hamilton had an inventory of Sales displays, promotion material, etc that was understandably on loan to jewelers....(believe he shows some of these on his web site)

could this have been something to do with that...?

Certain at some time Rhett will peek in for a look-see.

8. darrahg

darrahg Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 22, 2006
    retired from computing, networking
    Houston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I hate to add to the nitpicking but, that is an extremely nice case.

9. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    #9 Robert Sweet, Jun 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
    I suspect this show case has some connection with the "Scribner & Loehr Jewelry Co." of Cleveland. Research shows that 3 or more movements serial number listed on the inside labels of the show case were purchased by this company.

Robert

10. Candew

Candew Registered User

Mar 8, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Michigan
    Country Flag:
    That could be but Harvey said in his first post "The labels for watches in the showcase are ours" so I guess he owns three of those movements.

Very nice case though and walnut to boot, wow.

11. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I failed to see that statement.

Robert

12. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Board Secretary
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Harvey

certainly an interesting find.

i can't say definitively, but would suspect that the cabinet was used in some capacity at the factory, with the metal tag being an inventory or asset number.

if meant for loan to jewelers, I would expect to see more prominent Hamilton Advertising on either the glass or a the outside top or bottom of the cabinet.

Rhett

13. Harvey Mintz

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Rhett -

That's pretty much my thinking too. I was sort of hoping that someone had additional information, though.

I can't take any credit for this: Pat wanted it and left a bid. We didn't see the Hamilton inventory tag until we got it home, whereupon I changed my mind about having it rather quickly :) .