Hamilton Pocket Watch Engraved

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Tbucket, Aug 12, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tbucket

Tbucket New Member

May 7, 2016
    Account Manager for a Machine Shop
    Easton, Pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A friend has given me a Hamilton Pocket watch that has the following engraving on the back: "Presented by the Electric Boat Company to Lieut J.F. Davidson USN Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Mackerel at her first commissioning March 31 1941" The watch is a model917, 17 Jewel, adjusted 3 positions, serial # X65353 with the #1207823 on the inside of the back cover. I have learned that the USS Mackerel was a submarine that was built by Electric Boat Company & was commissioned on the date that was engraved on the watch. I would like to know any other information that may be available surrounding this commanding officer and also what the best way would be to find the value.

2. 12V6GT

12V6GT Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 10, 2011
    Roseville
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow, really nice piece of history you have there! Would love to see pictures of it. I agree it would be interesting to know why the Electric Boat Company would do that unless it was just custom for the time. The Wikipedia write up of the U.S.S. Mackerel is pretty interesting as well. The boat did not live long before it was scrapped. :( Now the watch has probably out lived both the Lieutenant and the boat.

Does it run and is it in good shape?

How did your friend come across the watch?

Thanks for the post! Very interesting.

3. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I would also like to see photographs of the watch, the front(dial)
    and inside (the movement)....and the inscription would be nice.

Thanks
    Rob

4. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    SS Mackerel - 204..........

The below info may be helpful to you............

Robert

5. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
  6. Tbucket

Tbucket New Member

May 7, 2016
    Account Manager for a Machine Shop
    Easton, Pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I restore clocks as a hobby, but this is the first time I ever looked at a pocket watch. I went to Merritts yesterday & I purchased some tools I needed & the proper watch oil (also came home with another clock...oh boy, I have a very understanding wife). as far as the watch's condition, it did not run when he gave it to me. I have opened it & oiled the pinions on the back side only & it is now running. My friend inherited the watch when a relative passed away & nobody knows how he got it.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the link. it was good to see the photo of Lt. Davidson.

7. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    very nice

Rob