Hamilton Model 21 Chronometer Question

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by clocks4u, Nov 28, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I recently picked up a very nice Hamilton Model 21 Chronometer from a local estate. Doing a message board search I was able to find some information. Serial #2E4817 was sold on 6/2/1944. I'm assuming it was sold to the Navy. It gives a sold to reference number of 64-1078. That same number shows up several other times, as does numbers like 64-1055 and 64-1081. Does anyone know what these sold to numbers mean? Is there any way to find out what ship this was used on? I'm attaching a few pictures for reference. Thank you, Chris

IMG_7263.JPG IMG_7260.JPG IMG_7276.jpg

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The numbers are believed to be the government contract numbers. I do not think we have any records available of which machines were on which ships like the British have.

We do have some for the Civil War in the Scientific Instruments Collection at Harvard that they received from Bond & Co.

3. clocks4u

clocks4u Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 2, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bummer. I was hoping I'd find out it was on a ship involved in a famous battle or landing (wishful thinking). I am a little surprised the Navy didn't keep track as I'm sure they all went out for service from time to time.

4. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since they were all owned by the Navy there was no need to track them. You sent one in for service and got one back. They were sent without the boxes, so there is no association there and the depot might have a number in for repair at one time so it was only incidental if they left with the same tub they came with.

Welcome to mass production. All the European ones were essentially hand made although I suspect Mercer was getting pretty standardized by the end.

5. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Marvin Whitney tried to access those records, but they were in very deep storage at the National Archives. I know they exist, but I suspect access is even harder today than it was in the 80s. I have been told by a friend at the USNO that all those records were in fact sent to the Archives. However, they were individual records by date. There was no attempt to log by S/N as the done for the Royal Navy. So you would have to go through ALL the records. I am unclear what happened to the records from Norfolk and Bremmerton (post WWII).

You CAN get the assembly record from the NAWCC library from the S/N.
    Request a copy of both sides.