Marine: Hamilton Marine Chronometer

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by ariel_blau, Oct 23, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. ariel_blau

ariel_blau New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Hi. I'm Pierre from Switzerland und since a couple of days proudly owner of a Hamilton Marine Chronometer 21.
    The Number ist 6193 - can anybody tel me something about the construction-date?
    I also would appriciate a technical link in the internet since i cannot find much technical informations about this piece.

Thank you very much
    Pierre

2. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome,

NAWCC full members have full access to a banquet of information accessible through the NAWCC website. The digitized Hamilton grade catalog and serial number ledgers are available there. These records show that your chronometer (2E6193) was completed and sold on the same day. That was 9-14-1944. Copies of the Bureau of Ships maintenance manual for the model 21 are often available on from on line sources. Congratulations on a great find.

This link may come in handy for you. It leads to Larry Crutsinger's website.

http://hamiltonparts.com/index.html

3. ariel_blau

ariel_blau New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much, Doug - great information. I signed in for a full NAWCC-Membership now but i cannot find the digitized Hamilton grade catalog and serial number ledgers. Do you have a hint for me.
    Thanks a lot. Pierre.

4. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 doug sinclair, Oct 25, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    Welcome,

Depending on timing, it may take a day or two for your membership to activate.

To access the Hamilton records, go to the NAWCC website. Look for the LOG IN banner, top right, in the header. Log in.
    - In the header, look for LIBRARY AND RESEARCH. Click.
    - On the left side, look for RESEARCH. Click.
    - On the left side, look for COMPANY RECORDS. Click.
    - On the left side, look for HAMILTON. Click. This gives you the serial number look up and access to the hand written ledgers. Key in the serial number (include the preface 2E with your serial number). You may notice the block of serial numbers on the left side is blue. Click on it, and that will bring up the actual scan of the ledger page on which your item is listed.

OR

- On the left side, look for HAMILTON GRADE CATALOG. This page gives volumes of information about all Hamilton grades.

The records from Hamilton in Lancaster PA. went up the road Columbia PA. to NAWCC headquarters when the factory closed. Access to digitized information is not 100% complete for a lot of the newer grades as far as I know.

Spend some time playing with the links listed on the web page. Enjoy!

You can now access the NAWCC Bulletin for the entire history of NAWCC. In the header, look for PUBLICATIONS. On the left side, the links will take you to the current issue, or past issues, or the BULLETIN INDEX which will give you access to titles, authors, etc. etc. The drop down will show you many choices of your chosen topic. Take note of the ISSUE NUMBER and page number. Back up to the page showing PAST ISSUES, and click on it. Bulletin issue numbers are shown by decade. Note the decade, and look for the links that relate to that decade, and click on the decade. The drop down shows all Bulletins for that decade. Click on the one of your choice, locate the page (or title) and click on it.

In the Bulletin index, if you type in my name, look for the article I did about 10 years ago, on the model 21. I did a pictorial essay on the complete service of a model 21 which you might find interesting.

5. ariel_blau

ariel_blau New Member

Oct 21, 2015
    Country Flag:
    wow - this is a huge amount of information. Thank you for your great an precious help!