Hamilton Liberty Head wristwatch

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Bruiser, Apr 15, 2013.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruiser

Bruiser Registered User

Dec 17, 2012
    Pricing Manager
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    P4151518.jpg ; P4151519.jpg P4151520.jpg P4151523.jpg P4151526.jpg P4151530.jpg

Hi Everyone,
    My Grandfather, who passed away in 1999, had this watch stored in his desk drawer for years. As I was always interested in coins, it was one of the pieces I inherited from his estate. It's a 22 jewel movement in a 14K case and has a reeded edge, like a coin. As you can see, I still have the original cardboard box as well as the case. The wristband, which is marked 'Hamilton' on the rear, has an alligator or snake skin embossed design and shows a little wear.

I've only worn it a few times but it keeps time well enough. Suprisingly, for a gold case it's not very heavy. I understand it's from the late 1960's and not many were made.

What I'd really like to know was if it actually sold for $250 back in the day? That seems pretty pricey for the time.

2. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The 1969 Coin model was offered in two case variations: 10K rolled gold plate and 14K solid gold, both with the 770 movement. It was supposedly Hamilton's last American made watch. The solid gold version may have sold for that amount.

3. Bruiser

Bruiser Registered User

Dec 17, 2012
    Pricing Manager
    Southeast Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Tom. I always wondered of the prices they put in the boxes were the MSRP from the manufacturer or if the local jeweler put them in.