Hamilton Greenwich question

gatorcpa

May 7, 2007
Country
I recently picked up this Hamilton Greenwich on that (in)famous auction site.

97.jpg

What attracted me to this particular watch was the condition of the case. No wear through at all. The dial looks original, but is painted, not luminous.

I have some of questions on this watch:

1. Was this style of hands optional on Hamiltons?

2. Does anyone have the blueprint on this dial, and did it originally come in this style with painted numerals?

3. Would anyone know where I can get a replacement glass (not plastic) crystal for a Greenwich?

Here is a movement shot, I've been told that it dates from 1930, which would be consistent with the introduction of this model.

98.jpg

I used to be able to look some of this info up myself, but the hamiltonhorology.com site has been taken down.

Many thanks in advance,
gatorcpa

Don Dahlberg

NAWCC Member
Aug 31, 2000
The numbers that are on the dial above should be luminous. The numbers also look rather crude. It looks like a restored dial to me.

This movement was in a run that went to the Finishing Department on 10/14/30 and 11/10/30. It was probably finished in late 1930. The Greenwich was released in 1932.

Here is the Greenwich from the 1932 catalog.

Don

Attachments

gatorcpa

May 7, 2007
Country
Thanks a lot for the information, Don.

Some of the distortion to the numbers on the dial is due to refraction from scratches on the crystal. One of the reasons I'm looking for a new one. But I do agree that it was likely repainted many years ago.

I wonder if at some point, an owner wanted the radium removed and switched the hands. Everything looks period correct, but different than it should.

Anyway, it looks much better in person than in the pictures.

Thanks again, and take care,
gatorcpa

danM

Mar 17, 2004
Wear - you might find just a tiny bit of wear on the corners of the bezel nearest the crystal - this is usual on this model, and I've never seen one unworn there.

gatorcpa

May 7, 2007
Country
Thanks for the reply, Dan.

I took a loupe to the corners this evening. A little wear, but no wear through. The first pictures have a slight reflection from the crystal at the corners that look like wear through.

Magnification confirmed my suspicions on the "painted" dial.

Now I need a dial and a crystal.

Take care,
gatorcpa

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caddafee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff