Hamilton Electric

D

Doug

I have a Hamilton electric 14k watch that was a presentation watch. the presentation date is 1964. The watch has the winding stem located off center position on the case. Checking the watch to put a new battery in it, the case looks solid on the back, no appearant seam where the back would come off to access the battery.

What is the procedure for changing the battery?

D

Doug

I have a Hamilton electric 14k watch that was a presentation watch. the presentation date is 1964. The watch has the winding stem located off center position on the case. Checking the watch to put a new battery in it, the case looks solid on the back, no appearant seam where the back would come off to access the battery.

What is the procedure for changing the battery?

danM

Mar 17, 2004
It is a one-piece case - this often results in much damage to US watches, as most users assume all cases have an opening back - not so with US made watches.

The "works" comes out thru the front of the watch, after the crystal is removed. The hand-setting stem and crown will pull out of the watch, as the stem has an m/f joint, and is thus detachable.

You need a "crystal lift" to compress and remove the crystal, and to refit.

I have seen these cases with great gouges on the back, from attempts to open ! - and will always be wary of a seller who says --
"could not get the back off"

Dan.

D

Doug

Thanks Dan,

I HAVE THE TOOLS & CAN LIFT THE CRYSTAL AND REPLACE.

NO ONE HAS USED A BUTCHER KNIFE ON THIS ONE.
I ALWAYS INSPECT ITEMS CLOSELY WITH A LOOP BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

I ASSUMED THIS SHOULD COME OUT THE FRONT, BUT WANTED TO ASK FIRST.

THE CASE IS 14 KARAT GOLD AND HEAVY.

I BOUGHT IT IN A BROWN BAG OF WATCHES!

danM

Mar 17, 2004
The funniest case is that of the Regulus automatic - Hamilton used the Electric Regulus case, which had a removable back, and converted it to a front loader by simply soldering the back permanently on - but without grinding off the watch-knife tab from the back - so it still looks like an opening back, but is not !

dan.

D

Doug

Hi Dan,

I removed the crystal and the movement is free but it doesn't want to come off of the stem. I don't want to force it. Any suggestions?

Thanks

danM

Mar 17, 2004
The stem is 2 piece - a male/female joint which will seperate. You just have to pull hard on the crown, and the crown plus a short piece of stem will come out. Sometimes this joint is quite stiff, but if you have a one piece case it will be there !

Once you have the crown out I usually push a small screwdriver into the stem tube to push the remainder of the stem back into what in a mechanical watch would be the "wind" position. This enables the dia/mvt assembly to clear the case.

dan

D

Doug

Hi Dan,

Thanks for your help. I would not have pulled on the stem that hard to try to get it out. Once out I see they way it is manufatured. I replaced battery re assembled movement in case and snapped the stem and crown in place and all works great.

Thanks again

danM

Mar 17, 2004
Glad to help - which battery did you use ?

Sometimes I file the stem parts a little to make breaking them apart just a bit easier -
but take off too much and the stem does not lock safely.

When you need servicing or the contacts replacing then try ----
http://www.rondeau.net/ --- as you are in the US.

dan

danM

Mar 17, 2004
I use two different batteries in my Electrics.

One is the 301, as long as long as the negative side has a raised "dimple" in the metal, rather than being flat. I generally recommend making an insulator for that battery.

The alternative is the 394, for which you need to fit it into the plastic ring taken off a 1.35 volt accutron battery, or an ebay seller sells custom made black plastic rings.

Sometimes you need to bend the battery contact on the watch up a little to ensure good battery contact.

Anyway the battery has to be a 1.5 volt battery, with negative pole downwards.
I once put 3 volts on to a 500 movement as an experiment, and it ran very vigourously indeed !

dan