Hamilton electric cal 500

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Burkhard Rasch, Oct 24, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I allways wanted one and finaly pulled the trigger for this one: not the most wanted Ventura but a more classicaly shaped case in 10ct rolled gold. Dial and case are exellently preserved , no maior scatches or discolorations,let alone brassing through ,the thread of the back lid crisp and unmangled.The balance swings freely for a few seconds,the rim being true,not wobbling, and the second hand advances as it should.I bought it as a non runner for cheap and I think I know the problem : the two verry fine "hairs" (I know they are contacts) touch each other before they reach the respective part of the balance, so: hopefully only a question of adjustment?
    I´ll give it to my watchmaker tomorow,but -just in case- do You know someone trustworthy specialized in these?
    The price was low,even for parting it out,so I have a little bit of money left...
    Press Your thumbs that he´ll get this beauty running!
    Burkhard

DSCN4605.JPG DSCN4606.JPG DSCN4609.JPG DSCN4612.JPG DSCN4614.JPG DSCN4616.JPG

2. Chris Radek

Chris Radek Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Watchmaker (now accepting new customers)
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
  3. Chris Radek

NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    By the way, the two springs are supposed to touch. PLEASE don't touch them, the correct service and adjustment process is intricate. Send it to an expert. Here's page 70 of my service manual:

IMG_20191024_175106.jpg

4. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    thanks,Chris,both for the link and the advice! I´m not a watchmaker,so I will not touch these , and my watchmaker is realistic enough that he will not start with something he isn´t sure to complete; so maybe this watch has to cross the pond again,who knows?
    Thanks again
    Burkhard

5. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice watch Burkhard, i really like those movements. Wish i knew how to repair them. Congrats.

6. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes,the movement is beautifull indeed,I like the heavy skrewed compensation balance much better than the pressed tin thingy of the cal.505 , but I hesitated since they are said to be unreliable.Hope this proves untrue!Thanks for any input!
    Burkhard

7. Chris Radek

NAWCC Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Male
    Lincoln, NE, USA
    Country Flag:
    They are perfectly reliable when serviced and set up correctly. The problem with them is the electrical contacts wear a bit with each impulse of the balance. Later balance wheel electrics added a snubber diode to improve this situation. (And still later, a transistor was used instead of the mechanical contacts, leading the way directly to the Accutron...)

Anyway, for that reason, it's best to pull out the stem to stop the movement whenever you're not wearing it. If your habit is to rotate through wearing several watches, it will last a long time indeed. But of course don't forget about it and let a battery leak in it.

The contacts were just considered a wear item, like the battery, requiring periodic replacement. No problem if they are available! As far as I know, Jarett might be the only one in the world with a good supply.

8. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks,Chris,good to know that there is at least one source in the world!
    Burkhard