Hamilton Coast Guard

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Nookster, Apr 20, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Nookster

Nookster Registered User
    Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Does anyone know the story of this Watch that Hamilton made? Quite unique.

[​IMG]

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Donor Sponsor NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Do you suppose it was made to sell in the commissary at the Coast Guard Academy or some other similar location. How big is it? What does the movement look like?

I am guessing it is a 12 size Grade 912.

Hamilton made many of the 12 size watches with fancy dials, so this watch has Coast Guard specific content, but may not be that unusual otherwise.

3. Nookster

Nookster Registered User

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Correct on size and movement. Was just curious if anyone knows the story behind this. Did Coast Guard order, was it presentation watches, were they made for crew?

4. Candew

Candew Registered User

Mar 8, 2013
    Male
    Retired
    Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Being retired Coast Guard I can only give you some background info but nothing specific to that watch.

Alexander Hamiliton was the first Secretary of the Treasury. He founded what was then the Revenue Cutter service later to merge with the Lighthouse Service and become the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard was part of the Treasury Department till transferred to the Department of Transportation then Homeland Security.

There have been many Coast Guard Cutters named Hamiliton over the long history of the service.

I can see an exchange manager having special built watches from Hamilton since there is such a close relationship with the name.

Needless to say, the Coast Guard being such a small branch of the military (there are more New York City policemen than Coast Guard members) I would think very few examples of this particular dial/watch exist.

5. Robert Sweet

Robert Sweet Registered User

Apr 29, 2004
    Country Flag:
    It will be very difficult to know who ordered this "special purpose watch", but according to the Hamilton image below, anyone could order any style dial to their preference and pay a premium price.

Robert

6. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
  7. Nookster

Nookster Registered User

Oct 5, 2010
    Retired
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 Nookster, Apr 22, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    Steve,

That is the watch, the owner asked me to help find info on it which I don't have, so I thought I would bring it to the experts.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually own the original die for that Hamilton World Series Watch. It's a cool rare piece.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]