Hamilton, Adjusted for Railroad Service, 992 ARRS Watches

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country
Re: Hamilton, Adjusted for Railroad Service

Serial 1610951 has handscratched number 23011.

JohnL

Feb 11, 2001

Very Nice Jim, thanks for posting pics of it.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region

John,
Thanks for telling me about Becker and the 4 digit numbers he scratched.

I had alway thought that these watches were from Tucker.

jeffk44

Jan 6, 2007

photo1.jpg photo1.jpg Hello All.... Ican now say that I am the proud owner of TWO of these spectacular watches. Iposted my first on this thread on 11/03/2011 and is in a Model 6 Case. I sit and stare at bothwondering which case I like the best, the Model 6 or the Model 2. I'll call ita tie for now. The Model 2's Serial # is 2332074. Interestingly, on Page 1 ofthis thread is a Serial # listed as 2330274? Maybe they're third cousins?
Regards,
Jeff

Ham992special.jpg
Ham992specialmvmt2.jpg

Fred Hansen

NAWCC Member
Aug 18, 2002
Country

Here's serial #1247404 with handscratched number 14364 ...

101.jpg 103.jpg 104.jpg

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Thanks Fred!

Just a point to consider: Serial number 1247405 is reported to have handscratched number 14371

Mike Williams

Aug 28, 2015
I have just joined nawcc. I am recently retired and now have time for such things. I do own a ARRS Watch and would like to record it for your records. The scratch# is 27688. Mike in Missouri

Attachments

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Mike:

Welcome to the NAWCC American Pocket Watch Message Board!

Thanks for adding the pictures of your watch,

stagg1234

May 26, 2008
Waldwick NJ
Country

Hi i recently obtain a Hamillton 992 2-Tone movement double roller, adjusted 5 positions, 21 jewels. It has a dial on it with Hamilton "Adjusted for Railroad Service, 21 Jewels". The serial number of the movement (1,088,018) puts it in the same time frame as a few of the watches mentioned in the thread for 992 approved for railroad service watches and the damaskeening on the movement, 2-tone with stars, seems to match other movements with this dial. My question is can this be considered an approved for railroad watch within these blocks or not? also why are some of the dials on these watches also marked adjusted to 8 positions (even though movement says 5) and the movements marked 992 special - are they in fact same watchs with just different markings?

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region

Hi stagg,

Yes, these are RR approved watches, in fact just a regular 992 is a RR approved watch.

The dials changed over time and the dial marked 8 ADJUSTMENTS ( Not Positions) was the last style used.

The adjustments were usually 5 positions, Heat, Cold, Isochronism.

The earlier models had a larger checkerboards pattern than the later ones.

Clock Man

Jul 6, 2010
Serial # 786094 circa 1910
Hand scratch # 3201
Marginal minutes dial
Illinois WCC Bona Fide 20yr case

Dial.JPG Larger checkerboard pattern.JPG

vintageguy

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Oct 27, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
The things we find! An acquaintance asked me to look at a small watch collection left to him by his father. Among a group of garden variety Elgins and Walthams was this ARRS:

IMG_3022.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3025.JPG IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3031.JPG

Serial # 1657502
Hand scratch # 23341
Illinois WCC Bona Fide 20 Year case, #3795303

Wow!

Last edited:

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
I found another example to add to the data today. The little scratched number seems to be 19178. The serial number is 1531057. The watch is in a Illinois Watch Case Company Ramona GF case which seems to be original to the watch. It was found in Fort Wayne, IN. I have been looking at it for about a year and today the guy said OK to my offer. I have had a few of these over the years and this one is close to the best. When I look it up in the NAWCC Hamiton records the data seems to be missing but I assume it was sold to Meyer & Schamber.

Ham_16-SpRR_Dial.jpg Ham_SpRRServ_Mvt.jpg

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
[QUOTE="John Cote, post: 1383889, member: 62" When I look it up in the NAWCC Hamilton records the data seems to be missing but I assume it was sold to Meyer & Schamber.

View attachment 599583 View attachment 599584 [/QUOTE]

John,
Great watch and Great 2-tone checkerboard pattern,

ASAIK, These watches were only sold to Tucker & Becker, some thru Forsinger as the agent

Rickglick1

May 6, 2020
Skokie, IL
Country
Region
Hi Kent! I am the new custodian of this 992 Special! it actually came with your very informative article from 2001 in the Railroaders Corner.
I would like to add my serial number 2428778 and my hand scratched digits 29534 to your database.
The Mainliner case it came to me in is not marked Hamilton on the inside and I was wondering if it would be advised to move the movement to a Bar-Over-Crown or some other Hamilton case. I have several other 992 and 992B's in pristine cases that would look great with this movement. I also have a Hamilton display case housing a 974 Special that would showcase the two-tone on this watch, but I don't want to take away from the 'specialness' of this watch. I would appreciate comments on this from any of the collectors in the group.
Thanks!
Rick G. IMG_E7337.JPG IMG_E7338.JPG IMG_E7345.JPG IMG_E7339.JPG

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Welcome Rick to the NAWCC Forums. You have a great watch to start off with.

The dial is the last signature in this series marked with 8 Adjustments, which means adjusted for 5 positions, Heat, Cold, Isochronism. Equals=8 Total Adjustments.

Your watch was made about 1930, so any case available at the time would be appropriate, check the stickies above under Hamilton Watch Co. threads to see about cases and dates. Your present case is fine,but it is not the case it was sold in...

The Mainliner was a Hamilton case and will have Hamilton stamped inside the the rear cover. These J.Boss cases are always confused with the Mainliner cases, because the Mainliner were made for the 950E and are very scarce. The Hamilton case will also have 2 raised edge ridges around the back edge (Thanks, Terry Hall).

The earlier 992 ARRS had a larger pattern for the 2-tone blocks, (Thanks, Fred Hansen).

Rickglick1

May 6, 2020
Skokie, IL
Country
Region
Welcome Rick to the NAWCC Forums. You have a great watch to start off with.

The dial is the last signature in this series marked with 8 Adjustments, which means adjusted for 5 positions, Heat, Cold, Isochronism. Equals=8 Total Adjustments.

Your watch was made about 1930, so any case available at the time would be appropriate, check the stickies above under Hamilton Watch Co. threads to see about cases and dates. Your present case is fine,but it is not the case it was sold in...

The Mainliner was a Hamilton case and will have Hamilton stamped inside the the rear cover. These J.Boss cases are always confused with the Mainliner cases, because the Mainliner were made for the 950E and are very scarce. The Hamilton case will also have 2 raised edge ridges around the back edge (Thanks, Terry Hall).

The earlier 992 ARRS had a larger pattern for the 2-tone blocks, (Thanks, Fred Hansen).
Thanks Jim! i have some nice Hamilton cases to put this in. I will repost when done.
Rick

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I would also like to add my welcome to the NAWCC Forum.

Rob

Rickglick1

May 6, 2020
Skokie, IL
Country
Region
I would also like to add my welcome to the NAWCC Forum.

Rob
Thanks Rob!
I have been collecting for several years, but I only joined the forum last year. I have learned a lot just reading the posts, but sometimes I am compelled to share! I have a few other interesting watches I may post.
Rick

Reactions: musicguy

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Hi Rick:

You have a nice watch; thanks fir telling us about it.

The eight watches in Ed's and my data base in the range 2,428,701-2,428.800 are not noted as being in Hamilton cases. Several are in J Boss cases and one is in a Star case. I'd leave it alone.

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
Thanks Jim! i have some nice Hamilton cases to put this in. I will repost when done.
Rick,

As has been said, your watch was almost surely never in a Hamilton case so if you take it out of the case it is in and put it in one it will be obvious to anyone who knows, that it is not in original condition. These watches were sold by Hamilton as movements with dial and hands but not with cases. Obviously the watch is yours so you can obviously re-case it if it makes you happy. If you do re-case it, you should keep the Jas Boss case it is in, along with a note to remind you or your heirs so that when you or your heirs sell it it can be sold in proper original condition. Just a suggestion. I am not trying to be the watch police.

Rickglick1

May 6, 2020
Skokie, IL
Country
Region
Rick,

As has been said, your watch was almost surely never in a Hamilton case so if you take it out of the case it is in and put it in one it will be obvious to anyone who knows, that it is not in original condition. These watches were sold by Hamilton as movements with dial and hands but not with cases. Obviously the watch is yours so you can obviously re-case it if it makes you happy. If you do re-case it, you should keep the Jas Boss case it is in, along with a note to remind you or your heirs so that when you or your heirs sell it it can be sold in proper original condition. Just a suggestion. I am not trying to be the watch police.
John,

Maybe not a 'Watch Police', but certainly, as your title describes, a 'Time Nerd'!
Seriously, that's exactly what I was looking for-advice so as to not impact the specialness of this watch.
I will leave it alone for now.
I have other watches that I have 'upgraded' the case-especially wind indicators and or ones with painted dials, as I am sure many of the members do. I just had a hunch that wouldn't be proper in this situation and wanted to hear from the experts.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rick G.

Reactions: John Cote

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluemax
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre