American PW Hamilton 992B Roller Jewel Replacement

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Hello,
I have an e-bay purchase that is missing a roller jewel. It is a 992B with serial #449459.
I am hoping that someone might tell me if I need to look for a specific size, or did the 992B have a standard jewel which I can buy using a Hamilton part number as I do not have the original jewel for comparison.
Thank you in advance,
Grant

IMG_9081[1].jpg IMG_9083[1].jpg

Randy Beamer

Jul 5, 2011
Davenport Washington
Country
Region
Hello,
I have an e-bay purchase that is missing a roller jewel. It is a 992B with serial #449459.
I am hoping that someone might tell me if I need to look for a specific size, or did the 992B have a standard jewel which I can buy using a Hamilton part number as I do not have the original jewel for comparison.
Thank you in advance,
Grant

View attachment 613587 View attachment 613588
Grant,
You may have to do some adjusting to length regardless of what you find.
On that note,..type this into the search field and you will get some answers and even a part number
Roller jewel size for Hamilton 992

Best regards...nice watch !!

Randy

Reactions: Grant Perry

oldetymes

Feb 5, 2007
Grant,
On that note,..type this into the search field and you will get some answers and even a part number

Randy
Thank you Randy for the quick reply. I tried the search for the 992B, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer on a part number.
Grant,

oldetymes

Feb 5, 2007
Hi Randy
Hello,
Thank you in advance,
Grant

oldetymes

Feb 5, 2007
Hi randy - a common way to determine the roller jewel replacement is to measure the inside of the fork and deduct .02mm for clearance and purchase that size from one of the material houses like Jules Borel. Pocket watch database shows that as an 18s so I am thinking you have a single roller and will need that size in the long roller jewel. For reference, double rollers typically use the short roller jewel.

best, Dave

topspy

NAWCC Member
Nov 17, 2013
Oregon
www.fixmypocketwatch.com
Country
Region
I don't have a 992B handy or I would measure for you. If you can get a set of roller jewel gages like these, you can measure the fork slot and subtract .02mm. Then just order that size roller jewel, but make sure to order the "short" one since it is a double roller - single rollers use a longer jewel.

jewel guage.JPG

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Thank you, I don’t have a gage, so it is a tool I will need to look for. Thank you for the advice on the shorter option for the jewel. Are there typically only two lengths available, long or short?

NAWCC Member
Sep 16, 2008
If i remember correctly 992b's used a bronze roller with a friction fit (no shellac) jewel, and a short jewel is correct.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Thank you Jim, I appreciate your help identifying the parts. I see from my search so far that this could be a difficult part to find.
Best regards,
Grant

Last edited:

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
To determine size if you don't have a roller jewel gauge... If you do have a small drill index or some various size needles, find one that just fits snugly in the pallet fork slot and then measure that with a micrometer. Then subtract 0.02mm.

The jewel will be easy to find if you can determine the size.

Grant Perry

Jun 5, 2002
Ottawa-Canada's Capital
Country
Region
Thank you Dave. That I can do. The existing jewel is gone and the hole is open. Does the jewel actually nee to fit in the hole, or is the hole for securing the jewel with shellac? Also, 179 noted above that the jewel required is the shorter one. How do I determine the appropriate length?
Thank you!
Grant

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
The existing jewel is gone and the hole is open.
If the hole is open and you don't see any shellac residue, it is likely that it is a friction fit. I also seem to recall that being the case with the 992B.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-