hamilton 992b dial

pbuk

Dec 7, 2012
hi.just purchased a hamilton 992b ser no c245098 having read most of the excellent threads on the 992b i think its housed in a model 2 case.the dial is ds nos bold gothic and has no cracks,flaking,or discolouration my question is,and it will be an easy one for you guys,is it a mellamine dial:confused: any other info on the watch would be great many thanks from a converted american watch enthusiast P1040505.jpg P1040504.jpg P1040502.jpg

pbuk

Dec 7, 2012
thank you for the info doug,but how do you tell the difference ,the dial looks to be made in 3 parts are the melamine dials moulded? any info on the watch many thanks

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
The melamine dial is not done in 3 pieces as your enamel one is. The three-piece enamel dial has the centre disc and the seconds bit soldered on from behind, using bismuth solder which has a very low melting point. Melamine is a resin that will not stand heat, so those dials are made in one piece! Also, the detail at the edges of the two applied discs on the enamel dial is much crisper than is the case with melamine. Plus, the melamine has (in gemological parlance), a waxy lustre, while the enamel dial has a vitreous lustre. I have never seen a melamine dial that is as white as the enamel dial.

Robert Sweet

Apr 29, 2004
Country
I'm going to respectfully disagree with Doug. This is a No. 121 Melamine. If you see "chopped" corners on the "0" (10 o'clock) and a few of the other numerals, like the "8") it is a Melamine. This movement was made in 1948 which would place it at and near the beginning of the use of Melamine dials.

Robert

Reactions: PapaLouies

ben_hutcherson

NAWCC Member
Jul 15, 2009
Kentucky
Country
Region
I don't have a vast amount of experience with Melamine dials, but I've owned a few. The sinks on that dial look much sharper than any melamine dial I've seen. It certainly looks like an enamel dial to me.

Here's a photo I had handy of a melamine dial, for comparison.

206.jpg

Robert Sweet

Apr 29, 2004
Country
Another "pointer", the 5-minute markers on the enamel dial are square, whereas on the Melamine they are rectangle.

Robert

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
hi.just purchased a hamilton 992b ser no c245098 having read most of the excellent threads on the 992b i think its housed in a model 2 case.the dial is ds nos bold gothic and has no cracks,flaking,or discolouration my question is,and it will be an easy one for you guys,is it a mellamine dial:confused: any other info on the watch would be great many thanks from a converted american watch enthusiast 162481.jpg 162482.jpg 162483.jpg

I would need to see that dial in my hands before I would be convinced it is not enamel. Even though evidence might seem to indicate it is melamine. If it proves to be melamine, it is by far the nicest melamine dial I have ever seen. My understanding is that enamel was phased out circa 1949, but this serial number appears​ to me to be earlier than that. Before I replied to this post, I checked my own Hamiltons, and I have a 992E with what I contend is the same dial, and it is double-sunk vitreous enamel!

Last edited:

John Cote

Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
The easy way to spot a melamine dial is to look at the edge of the dial. You can usually see enough of the edge without taking the movement out of the case. The edge of a melamine dial just under the white top surface will be black. The enamel dial will be white.

I think Robert may be right about this one although it may be one of the nicest Melamine dials left in existence if he is.

pbuk

Dec 7, 2012
many thanks to everyone for the info,looking through a loupe the dial still looks like 3 separate parts the edge of the dial is white.and the numbers look like raised enamel,not as in printed flat,on the surface.Hope this help clear any points.if it is not an enamel dial it is nice to know that it may be one of the only perfect melamine dials in existance

terry hall

NAWCC Brass Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
do you have the skills/tools/ability to remove the dial?
if so, a view of the back side will be conclusive...or more so than the front

'in hand' these can immediately be detected... image variation with lighting, reflections, etc skew things.

pbuk

Dec 7, 2012
thanks Robert this dial does not look like the Ben Hutcherson dial on your comparison the 2 and 3 look like the enamel the 4 looks like the melamine on the minute ring the 4 and 8 look like your 536 and not the melamine yours confused pbuk.

Kevin Moodie

Sep 4, 2008
If you look carefully, you will note that the numbers 5 and 7 go past the edge of and into the "sink" . That wouldn't be the case on an enamel dial where the recess for the seconds bit is ground out, removing the edge of the numeration.

Reactions: PapaLouies

pbuk

Dec 7, 2012
many thanks to everyone for all this info and all the points to look for on these dials the general opinion would point towards melamine.i do not want to disturb this watch by removing the dial untill the watch is serviced its a very nice watch with a very nice dial thanks again

EEG

Apr 2, 2021
Country
I have a 1951' 992B ,,dial that appears to have a "slight tint to it" ,,any thoughts?? (it is not the lens/crystal ,this picture does not show the tint to well)
Also I believe this is an ENAMAL dial by looking at it ,,without taking the movement out,,any thoughts on it??
Thanks So Much,,,Eric

1951'Display Hamilton 992B Railway Special Monty 21j.jpg

EEG

Apr 2, 2021
Country
Respectfully,,,After giving the numbers a Good look through a loop,,,I do not see the numbers falling into or past the "sink":???: This has me puzzled.
Any idea on the slight "TINT" the dial has? You cannot see it in this photo, but trust me, next to a white enamel dial it is obviously a TINT.
Has anyone ever noticed a tinted dial ?? I have 3 other 992Bs and a 1924' 992 Blind man dial, all have bright white faces.
I really Appreciate the info and consideration on this issue,, Thanks in Advance,,,E
(Here is the 24' 992 blind Man) Hamilton  992 1924' 21j WG.jpg

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
Any idea on the slight "TINT" the dial has?
Melamine can discolor.

Take the front bezel off and see if the dial is shiny.

Rob

Reactions: terry hall

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stevemn
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-