Hamilton 992 Serial Number Barrel Bridge Mismatch - Factory Error?

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by moocher24, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. moocher24

moocher24 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Just took apart this 992 movement and noticed the Barrel Bridge with different serial numbers. All parts are stamped with 2306251, including the bottom of Barrel Bridge, but the top of Barrel Bridge is stamped 2306351. Is this a rare thing? Does something like this increase value of movement?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member Sponsor NAWCC Member Donor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    We like to puzzle over how these occur. When the two numbers are within 10 of each other, the preferred theory is that they got mixed during assembly of a batch of 10. When they are farther apart, it is generally a bad material swap except that in this case all the positions but 1 agree. This must be an accidental mismarking, I think.

Someone might add a bit of value to it for the anomaly, but, in my experience, not very much.

3. TimeAntiquarian

TimeAntiquarian Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 29, 2011
    Another interesting example.

I recently acquired an Elgin with a corrected mistake on the barrel bridge number. The original "2" has been over-stamped with a star and re-stamped with a corrected "3."

4. musicguy

musicguy Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 12, 2017
    that one is really interesting, I would be curious how rare this is.
    I don't think(I know I wouldn't) pay more money for it, but
    it is interesting.

Rob