• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Hamilton 992 only winds upside down

Bill Sommers

Aug 24, 2016
I recently bought a 1921 Hamilton 992 lever set watch, my first keyless. Setting works fine, but winding only works with the pendant pointing down, toward the ground. If the pendant is upright the crown and stem just spin freely together, i.e. like when rotating CCW, unless I turn the watch upside down first and keep some CW pressure on the crown as I return it to upright. Something seems to be falling down when upright, so I wonder if there is a spring that isn't working properly to maintain engagement. Suggestions? Thanks!

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Possibly a broken yoke (clutch lever).
You need to remove the dial and inspect the setting mechanism. If you Google " Hamilton 992 Disassembly" you should find videos showing how and the setting mechanism. Compare to what you have and you should be able to see what is wrong.

Reactions: MrRoundel

DeweyC

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2007
Baltimore
www.historictimekeepers.com
Country
Below is a pic of the 992 L setting. It is pretty simple. I suspect the clutch return spring is missing or maybe just loose. This would be corrected when the watch is serviced. I might either return the watch or accept the defect as part of the cost you paid (lower). If you paid what you consider retail, I would return it. The cost for the spring can be $35 or so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jade1jerry
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-