Hamilton 975

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by IowaWatchGuy, Dec 24, 2004.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. IowaWatchGuy

IowaWatchGuy Registered User

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello to all and a Merry Christmas!
    I have a private lable Hamilton 975 pocket watch. What I was wondering is how rare are two-tone 975's. The actual plates on this watch are two-toned not the screws like some call two-tone. I have never seen another like it and have only seen one 974 this way. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
    Hello to all and a Merry Christmas!
    I have a private lable Hamilton 975 pocket watch. What I was wondering is how rare are two-tone 975's. The actual plates on this watch are two-toned not the screws like some call two-tone. I have never seen another like it and have only seen one 974 this way. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks!

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to my handy dandy Hamilton guide they made 68,000 pendant and 31,573 lever set, in regular and gilt trim.

4. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Board Secretary
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Two Tone 975's with Hamilton or private label markings are somewhat scarce.

If possible, could you post a picture or full description of the dial and movement (including serial number)of your watch?

Rhett

5. IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
    Here are some pictures and the movement number is 73916. Both the movement and dial are privately labeled. 3.gif 4.gif

6. IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
    Oh, the watch was made for WF Laraway Glenwood Iowa.

7. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Board Secretary
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Iowa,

Thanks for the information. I have seen a number of 2-tone 18's Hamilton's with the same name (some with fancy dials also), but this is the first 16 size.

Rhett

8. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    According to Hamilton records taken from Factory Production Book the total production of 975 pendant set was 70,500.

"Of the above total - 9397 are recorded as Gilt Trimmed
    263 are recorded as Spedial Finish
    200 are recorded qas Union Special
    290 are recorded as 'Thor'
    1,924 are recorded as being made up with gray bridges to allow for engraving the jeweler's name or speciql trade name instead of the regular engraving."

The total production of lever set was 31,680
    "Of the above total
    8,295 are recorded as Gilt Trimmed
    106 are recorded as Special Finish
    1,520 are recorded as gray bridge.

The Hamilton records go on to say
    "'Special Finish' watches, in both Pendant and Lever Set, were made up with the regular trimmings (steel screws, regulator parts and lettering in black) and with gilt trimming (gilt screws, regulator parts and lettering gilt) and it was impossible [to] defintitely segragate these so that no attempt was made to keep the "Special Finish' as a distinct item - some are included in the 'Regular' and some in the 'Gilt Trimmed'."

So it appears that "Gilt Trimming" refers to the gold plated screws and regulator. "Gray Bridge" refers to special private labels engraved on the movement. "Special Finish" refers to special damaskeened patterns, not necessarily a two-tone. The "Thor" was a pattern that I have seen in true two-tone. The "Union Special" watches were "made up for H. F. Hahn & Co., Chicago. They were usually made up in hundred-lots,- with gilt trimings and double sunk dials and were charged at the regular price for a watch with these additional features."

The pictures shown by IowaWatchGuy are not clear enough to see the pattern.

Don

9. IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
    Hopefully this picture is a little clearer for seeing the demasking on the movement. It appears like a checkerboard demasking with little snowflakes in the pattern also.
    5.gif

10. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    It is still very out of focus, but it does kind of look like a checkerboard pattern which is consistent with the Thor. Still hard to see.

Don

11. IowaWatchGuy

Dec 24, 2004
    Thanks for all your help everyone!! I will try and work with the camera a little more this week when I am not so busy and try and get a better picture yet. Mabye I will even work with it in photoshop......we shall see.
    Thanks again to All!

12. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    IowaWatchGuy:

Try taking the pictures from a little further away. Your camera may not be able to focus as close as you've been taking the pictures. It'd be helpful if you can use photoshop to crop the pictures down to just the size of the watch. That way, the file sizes will be a little smaller and they will load up faster.

Good luck,
    Kent