Hamilton 974

P

Peter Bell

I have a very nice looking Hamilton size 16 974.

Is the back screwed on and if so what is the best method to use to unscrew it or is there some tool used to grip the smooth back? All pocket watches I have owned previously have snap on backs

Thanks

P

Peter Bell

I have a very nice looking Hamilton size 16 974.

Is the back screwed on and if so what is the best method to use to unscrew it or is there some tool used to grip the smooth back? All pocket watches I have owned previously have snap on backs

Thanks

doug sinclair

Aug 27, 2000
Calgary, Alberta
Country
Region
Peter,

Most case backs that reguire an impliment such as a case knife to open them, are hinged, usually near the 6:00 position. If your case has no hinge then I think I can tell you it is not a "snap" back. The fact that you know the watch to be a 974 means that either you or someone else has had it open. Can the other person not help you with instructions?

Some cases are what is known as "swing-ring". That is, there is no back to remove. The front bezel unscrews, then look for a notch at the edge of the dial near the 6:00 position. Pull the stem out, catch the notch carefully with a finger nail, and swing the movement out on its hinge which will be near the 12:00.

If your case has a noticeable seam around the edge where the back might be, it should be a screw on back. If this is what you have, then persistance will be required if a first attempt meets with failure. Keep "massaging" the back counter-clockwise, and it should eventually begin to move. Bearing down in an attempt to get the back off should be avoided. Gentle pressure and persistence should do the job.

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Silver Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
To add to what Doug said, if it is a screw back and bezel case, the back of which is hard to unscrew, a rubber pad (such as is found in the kitchen for opening jars) can be used to get a better grip upon the back. First, hold the watch dial down in your left hand, With the Pendant/Crown/Bow Against Your Thumb. Then, place the rubber pad on the back of the watch, press down with the heel of your thumb and Unscrew Counter-Clockwise (or anti-clockwise if its an English watch).

P

Peter Bell

Thanks for the advice. I have tried but the back refuses to move! I am unable to locate any the gripper rubber pad as suggested at the moment.

Peter

harold

Mar 12, 2001
The bottom of your mouse pad also works. Either hold the watch and use the underside of the pad or place the pad down side up and turn the watch. Put light pressure on the pad or watch.

Don Dahlberg

Aug 31, 2000
Latex gloves, dental dams, finger cots or anything else made of latex gives greater friction. You can get these at a drug store.

Don

Kate N

Jun 13, 2005
Thanks for the ideas, guys! I just picked-up a 20s era Gruen in a rather thin gold-filled case. The case back was on so tight, that I thought I'd never get it to budge. With the aid of latex gloves, after a few minutes of pressure, voila!

burnz

Inactive User
Jan 24, 2006
Country
Thinner latex gloves (one on each hand will often sove the problem). For another approach---scroll down on watch repair to a post---"Seriously tight PW front bezel" by Loydb.
Sounds good but still waiting for my question on that post to be answered.

P

Peter Bell

Thanks everyone. Tried the mouse pad and latex gloves but no luck. Found a rubber pad which is used as place mat to stop plates etc sliding about and it did the trick! Really pleased, the inside view is great!

Peter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShadyShinju
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-