Hamilton 951

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by skippp66, Jul 8, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. skippp66

skippp66 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wanted to share pictures and the mserial number of my recently acquired Hamilton 951P(endant set) to those who might be interested.. It is my understanding that 97 were made as lever set and 44 as pendant set. Any other information I can get about these rare and highly finished watches will be very much appreciated. Thanks.
    Skip the Hamilton Nut.

Attached Files:

2. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Very nice Michael!

Thanks for sharing,

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Skip,
    Thanks for posting it and the production figures.

You have acuminated a great Hamilton collection in a short time period. That was hard work and determination and drive and a few dollars along the way.:D

It is great to have a fairly new collector that has set a goal and worked hard to attain it.

It took me many ,many, years to assemble a complete Hamilton collection, all sizes, grades and Militaries.:)

This is my 951.

Attached Files:

4. Rhett Lucke

Rhett Lucke Board Secretary
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Skip,

A great watch indeed.

As you mentioned, the 951 was produced in both pendent and lever set configuration. Due to the relatively low volumes, Hamilton actually took 961's from stock and returned them to the factory for conversion from 21 to 23 jewels - conforming to 950 specifications.

In total, 97 lever set and 44 pendent set were sold from 1913-1918 for a total of 141 watches. Of these 141 watches, the majority were sold in 1915-1916.

Rhett

5. RON in PA

RON in PA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 18, 2005
    Retired Neuroscientist
    S.E. PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Skip, thanks for sharing, beautiful watch.

Just for the heck of it I decided to check the Hamilton Finishing Records and according to them there is no such thing as a 951, your s/n should be a 961 with 21 jewels. I checked Lasser's List and sure enough the 951 is listed as well as the info that rrstd posted above. Very interesting bit of Hamilton trivia.

6. Larry Treiman

Larry Treiman Registered User

Jan 18, 2009
    Tired and retired!
    So. Calif.
    You will find that a somewhat similar bit of trivia is true for the Hamilton 18-size, 23-jewel grade 947, which is the hunting-case equivalent to the open-face grade 946. One difference is that the serial number and grade list that appears in Hamilton materials catalogs does show just two (2) grade 947 watches, serial numbers 999,999 and 1,000,000. A less-widely circulated serial number-grade list usually attributed to Lowell Halligan at Hamilton, dates those two watches to 1913.

However, a production report from c.1948, also attributed to Halligan, and reprinted by Roy Ehrhardt in his Hamilton book, shows that a total of 308 grade 947 movements were made between 1910 and 1916. If you look up the serial number of one of those grade 947 movements (except 999,999 and 1,000,000) you will probably find that they are listed as grade 943. The 942 and 943 were Hamilton's highest grade 18-size, 21-jewel, open-face and hunting movements. In a similar manner to what they did somewhat later with the grade 951, they made the 947s by taking 21-jewel 943s from stock (perhaps only partially finished), adding the jeweled motor barrel, and making any other necessary changes to bring them up to 23-jewel 946-947 specifications.

I would expect that this information is also in "Lasser's List" though I don't have a copy since I am no longer actively collecting watches.

Larry Treiman

7. Harvey Mintz

Harvey Mintz Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Male
    Software Engineer, retired
    South East Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Since we're showing off our 951s, I might as well put up some pix of mine.

MVC-001F.JPG MVC-002F.JPG MVC-003F.JPG MVC-004F.JPG MVC-005F.JPG MVC-006F.JPG

Yes, it's in the original wooden box, with the warrantee sheet. All numbers match.

8. John Cote

John Cote Director
    Director NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    Harv....you are such a show off....but thanks for showing off...Say hi to your better half for me.

9. crsides

crsides Registered User

Mar 5, 2002
    Accountant
    SC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Very nice 951's guys.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Charlie

10. skippp66

skippp66 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 29, 2010
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wow! Thanks for sharing pics of these wonderful watches. Great watch, Jim. You have helped me immensely both on the education and collecting end of things.
    Harv, I am soooo envious that yours was acquired with box and proper papers...and that box-hinged solid gold case is to die for! Finally, I appreciate the information from Larry and Rhett. I knew about the 947/943 upgrade but I did not know about the 961/951 upgrade. The collective knowledge on this forum is astounding!