Hamilton 940 Motor Barrel Disassembly Q

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by D N Ravenna, Apr 5, 2003.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Hello All!

Is the motor barrel hub press fitted into the winding gear or screwed on?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

2. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Hello All!

Is the motor barrel hub press fitted into the winding gear or screwed on?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Dan,
    The winding wheel is secured to the mainspring barrel arbor by the screw you see in the middle of it. Most Americam made watches are this way. After removing the screw you may have to pry or lift it off the arbor by using a screwdriver or some
    other tool.
    Hamilton has some jeweled barrels that are tricky and the hub is threaded to the arbor. These are the the 950e and the 952's. You can tell if the mainspring arbor is visabilly jeweled, then go from there.
    In your case with the 940 and all the other models without a jeweled barrel, you can pry up the winding wheel after removing the screw.

Jim Haney
    NAWCC# 138644
    Member of Chapters

4. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Thanks Jim,

This movement is somewhat different. It is a lever-set 18S watch. The keyless works engage three gears. The final one engages a gear that is directly attached to the motor barrel hub. The hub and the gear are attached through a plate which is fastened to the underside of the main plate.

The mainspring barrel is unique in that to replace the mainspring, the barrel is levered off of the motor barrel hub. This is opposed to a normal mainspring barrel that comes off with the mainspring arbor inside it.

I am just wondering if that final gear is pressed fit or screwed on.

Thanks!

Dan

5. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Pressed or a tight friction fit.

Jim Haney
    NAWCC# 138644
    Member of Chapters

6. Tom Chaudoir

Tom Chaudoir Guest

D N Ravenna,

Please contact me. There is a problem with your email account. tom@clocktech.com

Regards,

Tom Chaudoir
    Milwaukee, WI
    America

7. Steve Maddox

Steve Maddox Guest

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think the ratchet wheels on 18s Hamilton Motor Barrel models screw into (or onto) the barrel arbors.

Perhaps the explanation of various barrel systems in the following link will be of some assistance:

old ref::http://nawcc-mb.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=2386079361&f=4316035461&m=2986027461

The accompanying sketch at the link above was really intended to describe the systems used in 16s models, but I think the 18s Hamilton system is essentially like the 16s one (figure "B"), except turned upside down, so that the crown and ratchet wheels are on the dial side of the movement.

=====================

Steve Maddox
    President, NAWCC Chapter #62
    North Little Rock, Arkansas

8. Jim Haney

NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dan,
    I was wrong in my responce to your problem.
    On 940's, serial numbers after 594,501 the winding mechanism is different that most 18 size Hamiltons.There is a small plate that attaches to the dial plate that has the winding wheel and arbor pressed together on it.I guess you need a winding gear or arbor to repair the watch. I looked in some of my junk movements to see what you were talking about. They are listed serarately as parts but I believe that it is a unit assembly. I tried to take the arbor loose from the winding wheel and it broke. So to solve the problem with the winding arbor or winding wheel on this watch you will need the small plate with the hub and gear attached.

Jim Haney
    NAWCC# 138644
    Member of Chapters

9. D N Ravenna

D N Ravenna Guest

Thanks ALL!!

I am in the process of cleaning this beastie and having the winding gear attached to the arbor come off would have made life real easy. This 940 has a serial number of 92XXXX.

I guess when one had to replace the mainspring, they would lever off the mainspring barrel (the hole in the barrel cover was large enough to let the arbor pass and stay attached to the gear/plate assembly.

Reassembly was a pain. The only way I was able to do it was to hand wind the spring into the barrel with the arbor/gear/plate attached to the mainspring. When I had one or two coils left, I lubricated it with one hand on the assembly and one hand with the oiler. Fortunately, the barrel cover snapped on nicely.

I am glad I fought my feelings to get the gear off the arbor! Thanks Steve and Jim! :)

Regards,

Dan