Hamilton 926 Hairspring

Mike M.

Jan 31, 2009
Hamburg, Germany or Central Texas
Country
Region
I have searched and searched, but I can’t seem to locate a picture of a Hamilton 18s hairspring anywhere. I would really appreciate it it if someone could post a picture of one, or the balance assembly from the bottom.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Mike,
I am not at home and can't access my pic's at this time. What is your specific question on the HS?
Thanks, jim

Mike M.

Jan 31, 2009
Country
Region
Jim,
It’s good to hear from you. Thanks for your response.
I have a friend who is trying to repair a 926. He thinks the hairspring is bent or misshapen, and that is what is causing problems. He asked me if I had a picture of an original one, but I wasn’t able to locate one.
Maybe I can get him to send a pic of the hairspring he has and post it here...

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I am not sure a picture will do the trick......

He should shape the hairspring to fit the watch. That means (with the hairspring removed from the balance and mounted in the balance cock), centered between the regulator pins along the arc of the regulator. The coils should be even and the collet should be positioned above the hole jewel for the balance.

A picture of the "damaged" hairspring is always welcome.......

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
Here is a link to a film showing what I was talking about in the post above:

He works on a flat hairspring but the princuple is the same for an overcoil type.

Reactions: DennyI

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I would say that it looks like it needs work.
Possibly. It is hard to tell from the picture. It just may be OK in the round but needs some adjustment in the flat. Without the paper and a close up from the side will tell.

To realy assess, one needs to remove the hairspring and install it in the balance cock. It should fit and be centered as I described in post #4 above.

Reactions: Mike M.

Mike M.

Jan 31, 2009
Country
Region
Possibly. It is hard to tell from the picture. It just may be OK in the round but needs some adjustment in the flat. Without the paper and a close up from the side will tell.

To realy assess, one needs to remove the hairspring and install it in the balance cock. It should fit and be centered as I described in post #4 above.
Thank you, I passed your info, and the video on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
che63
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre