Hamilton 1st Model RR case

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by DeweyC, Aug 14, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    IMG_0410 (Medium).JPG IMG_0406 (Medium).JPG IMG_0407 (Medium).JPG IMG_0409 (Medium).JPG I just came across one that was not put in a drawer for 50 years. It was used a lot (which I actually prefer). So used the crown was worn dead smooth.

This one is marked Patent Pending.

I was going to replace the crown until I saw it was a special type with two sleeves. Is this a feature of this case? (In other words, was this crown unique to this case?).

Since I did not want to replace the crown and I wanted to be able to wind the movt, I put a new straight line knurl on it. The undercut of the crown is the original knurl.

View attachment 489182 IMG_0406 (Medium).JPG IMG_0407 (Medium).JPG IMG_0409 (Medium).JPG

viclip and John Cote like this.
  2. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    not sure where to start...
    "Pat Pending" I think is a mark common in these cases... I am not sure if any of the First Model (Crossbar) cases were marked with Patent date like the Model 2.
    They may not have had a long enough half-life...

Here is one of the patents courtesy of Robert Sweet
    crossbar patent robert sweet.jpg

May not help you much on the crown issue, but please note the shape of the crown in the patent, as well as in this introductory advertisement and the Time Book Ad...
    crossbar case 1924 LE ad.jpg
    1925 time book.jpg
    It is of a specific shape and I believe also seen on some Wadsworth Bunn Special Cases.

I captured an image of an example with an engine turned back image file shows case serial number.
    I believe the movement serial number was 2344673
    crossbar 6902595 fancy back.jpg

Here is something no one would like to experience...
    crossbar broke bow.jpg

And here is something that is not seen in the wild.. Ron Starnes is attributed to image, but I think I have this bow here...
    see the signature on the bow?? just not seen out in the wild.
    nos crossbar bow starnes.jpg

How bout a box label for one?

2313693 box label xbar wgf case.jpg

3. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Terry. I should have taken pics of the crown, stem and tube (dust?). The crown socket is separate from a tube that extends from the crown body. That tube fits into a second tube that is free floating in the case neck. The stem actually enters the neck from below and falls out once the crown is unscrewed. Does not look jerry rigged. Maybe an attempt to keep grit out of the movement?

It is an interesting case and it is easy to see it is a transition from the high neck case to the more modern cases al a 992B.

It is hard to tell if the crown matched the pics or not. It was worn smooth as if polished so I tend to think it was original but that may be wishful thinking on my part. But it was useless as it was and I had to knurl it if I was going to keep it.