Hamilton 12-size

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by John Arrowood, Oct 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Arrowood

John Arrowood Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Here are three Hamilton 12 size watches I have had for a few years. Left one Is 17-j, adjusted, 910, serial 1835706 with a 1919 presentation date. Middle is a 23-j 5 adjustments, no model no., serial 1766768. Third one is 17-j 914, 3 adjustments, serial 1845392, 1940 presentation date. All are in gold filled cases. And all are in the cases where the bezel is hinged at 6 and the movement is in a ring hinged at the left side of the case. What is the name for such cases and did any other maker use this style? View attachment 551482

hammy12s.jpg

2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    This one is a grade 920.

They are called swing ring cases and a lot of makers used them.
    check out the wiki case type

Rob

3. Jim Haney

Jim Haney Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Male
    Working the farm, Garden,horses, goats, chickens,
    Decatur, TN.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    John,
    I don't recall if Hamilton had a name for them or not? We always just called them Swingring cases.

Your 1766768 is a grade 920 and the grade was usually above the smaller winding wheel.

4. Jerry Treiman

Jerry Treiman Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Geologist - California Geological Survey
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Case manufacturers usually called these single-jointed cases. "Swing ring" is usually reserved for cases with a screwed bezel and the ring hinged by the pendant.

5. John Arrowood

NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Thanks for the replies. understand the regular swing out cases where the stem is pulled out and the movement and ring containing it swing out from the top of the case after unscrewing the bezel. I have a Keystone Howard railroad in such a case. These 3 just seemed odd to me.

6. John Arrowood

NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    After reading the wiki page it appears that the cases are clam shell type.

7. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In my opinion and experience "clam shell" is really a rather recent and informal term (unless you can show me period literature or ads using that term). The attached image is from a 1917 Hamilton catalogue page published by Benjamin Allen & Co. (reprint). This case style is clearly called a single joint case. This term was also used by other case companies for these cases.
    Ham910_1917.jpg

viclip likes this.
  8. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    Ed Ueberall and I started using "Clamshell" (or Clam Shell) to refer to this style of case about 20-25 years ago. "Single Joint" didn't seem right due to the fact that there are clearly two hinges. Perhaps through the constant appearance of the below ad (red text in the ad is mine) and/or the use of the term in the "How To Open A Pocket Watch Case" Encyclopedia article, "Clamshell" got picked up by others.

However, if I were to "name it" today, I agree that "Single Joint" would be the correct term to use insofar that it appears to have been the industry-wide tern for these cases. If there is a consensus of opinion posted to change the ad note and article to use the "Single Joint" term I'll be glad to do so.

1892_Aug_10_Glickauf_&_Newhouse_Clamshell.jpg

viclip likes this.
  9. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    I think it's a good idea to change it to the industry-wide term Single Joint.

Rob

TimeAntiquarian and viclip like this.
  10. Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I, too, would prefer to see these identified by the period terminology.

The "single joint" ignores how the movement is retained and just refers to the single joint connecting the front and back of the watch case.

TimeAntiquarian and viclip like this.
  11. Kent

Kent Registered User
    Gibbs Literary Award NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Silver Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Country Flag:
    musicguy and viclip like this.