Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik?

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
So i have a tall case clock, and it runs like a top, but the striking is out of adjustment, and i believe it has to do with an adjustment in the area of the snail. Is there a way to adjust the striking? It looks like the arm that hits or rides on the snail should be in a different spot. Im not good at explaining it, but i believe it misses the 12 oclock chime

IMG_1931 a.jpg IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1933.JPG IMG_1934.JPG

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
So i have a tall case clock, and it runs like a top, but the striking is out of adjustment, and i believe it has to do with an adjustment in the area of the snail. Is there a way to adjust the striking? It looks like the arm that hits or rides on the snail should be in a different spot. Im not good at explaining it, but i believe it misses the 12 oclock chime

View attachment 709647 View attachment 709648 View attachment 709649 View attachment 709650
You have an HAU / HAC clock.

The movement has the crossed arrows trademark of HAU / HAC.

The gong bracket also has the HAU / HAC trademark and shows "Sopra', which is also an HAU / HAC trademark.

Regards.

Reactions: demoman3955

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Usually, the snail is set so the rack tail hits the middle of each step. The eleventh step is typically used when setting the snail since it is so small. If that one is right, the others will also be right. To make an adjustment to the snail on your movement, the intermediate wheel bridge needs to be removed. With a bridge, you will have to hold the snail in position while setting the IM back, then hope nothing moves while replacing the bridge. Often takes me more than once. But before you make the adjustment I describe, you didn’t positively say it wasn’t striking 12, only that you believed so. It would be best to verify exactly what is happening before making any adjustments.

Mike Phelan

Dec 17, 2003
West Yorkshire, England
Country
Region
Just for interest, the reason for using the 11 step and not the 12, is that usually the 12 step is longer. That's because the snail between 12 and 1 isn't radial, but angled so if the clock fails to strike for any reason, the rack will fall and won't jam.

Reactions: Schatznut

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
Just to be clear, do you mean that at 12 o'clock it does not strike at all, or that it does strike but does not strike the correct number of times?

RC

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I don't see a washer or anything keeping the rack from disengaging from the hour pinion. That might explain why it got messed up.

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Just to be clear, do you mean that at 12 o'clock it does not strike at all, or that it does strike but does not strike the correct number of times?

RC
well once it wouldnt chime at 12, but when i lifted the manual release it wanted to keep chiming. I need to study up more on what things are called. lol

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
There is a bare post to the left of the rack. Oh, it must be to hold the rack in its resting position. Curious as to how the rack drops since it’s position doesn’t look like from gravity.

Last edited:

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
There is a bare post to the left of the rack. Oh, it must be to hold the rack in its resting position. Curious as to how the rack drops since it’s position doesn’t look like from gravity.
I think its the extra weight at the end of it. the pivot point is where the silver arm is at. the round piece at the end only attaches to the rack and nothing else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner