Hamburg American

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by GoogleKnowsThis, Sep 4, 2008.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    If you love watches or clocks you've got to come!
  1. GoogleKnowsThis

GoogleKnowsThis Registered User

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Has anyone got a copy or seen a copy available for sale of The Hamburg American Clock Company (European clockmaking) ISBN 0933396104? I'd like to add this book to my growing HAC clock collection.

2. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Fortunat Mueller-Maerki National Library Chair
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Horological Bibliographer -
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have a copy of the book

here are the details

# Title: Hamburg American Clock Company
    SubTitle: European Industrialized Clock Making
    # Author: Karl Kochmann
    # Publisher: Antique Clocks
    Other Keywords: HAU Hamburg Amerikanische
    ISBN: 0 933396 10 4 -- Library of Congress: 76-26338
    Language: ENG/GER
    Notes: corporate history of HAU Hamburg Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik, incl,reproduced Trade catalogs
    Edition: 1980, 1st edition -- Copyright: 1980
    Kind: Book
    Type: Clock (general)
    Geographic area: Germany
    Topic: NA/Other
    Organization: Brand
    Pages: 177 -- Height in cm: 22
    Print Status: 2 (1 means in print - 2 means out of print)
    BHM ID: 2641

Like most of of Kochmanns book thi book is a compilation of misc material on the subject, and a collection of annectotal evidence rather than a systematic treatment of the subject. Usefull material but not indepth scholarship.

3. centame

centame Registered User

Dec 13, 2005
    Country Flag:
    It is available in the NAWCC library - I borrowed it and have to say that personally I found it to be both interesting and yet somewhat disappointing in that it seems to me to be disjointed with no clear concept on what the goal of the book was: it could have done with several redrafts. I am not sure how much data the author had available to him at the outset of this undertaking - he does take a dig at the locals, suggesting that they were not forthcoming in providing him with catalogue material.

There is another book relating to HAC and this is also available from the NAWCC library: "Hamburg American and Junghans Clocks" by Hans A. Krauss. This book specifically includes a reproduction of a 1915 HAU catalogue. A copy of this book is currently on offer on eBay auction site.

A booklet was produced in 1989 by the Schramberg Museum. The booklet "Hamburg-Amerikanische Uhrenfabrik in Schramberg" by Gisela Lixfeld et al. is available to purchase through Ms. Lixfeld at the Schramberg museum for ~ €12. It was published in German only. The museum (according to Fortunat Mueller-Maerki) apparently holds a lot of HAU catalogue materials but as of yet these have, to the best of my knowledge, not been collated for the purpose of a book publication.

I would be interested in knowing of any other printed materials you might have or know of relating to HAC/HAU as it was such a prolific producer of clocks. Any insight you might have on dating HAC clocks would also be most appreciated.

Regards,
    Centame

4. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's not surprising. Landenberger & Lang was born out of bad family politics after all. I wouldn't be surprised if old names bring up old feelings. Does the book talk about this subject at all? Does it discuss why HAC is "American" and why Landenberger & Lang chose masionic slogans and trademarks perhaps? I suspect their motives were not to corner the western market.

I date HAC clocks based on trademark, style, and workmanship. For example early clocks show signs of manual labor because the company was driven to use cheap labor by Paul Landenberger to keep start up expenses down. Models by the 1920's show streamlined designs and even small alarm clocks coming off precision assembly lines.

Again, parts as early as 1882 might show "In God We Trust" or the oil lamp. From 1873-1882 they used a steamship--I've never seen one. Later clocks show the crossed arrows. Clocks in the 1900-1915ish era came with a plate saying "Made in Wuremberg" after that only arrows. Somewhere in the late 1920's they start saying "Foreign" on the dials.

And ofcourse you can follow styles. Pillars, Nouveau, Deco, each have their own respective time periods that you can research.

5. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There is a new outfit based in Singapore that is starting a Reedition project of facsilile editionss historic German clock cataloges.

Go check them out at http://www.any400day.com

They have already published 2 catalogs on CD they are a great and a good value.

I understand one one of their next jroject will be the 1928 master catalog of HAU. I will write a bookreview in this Forum as soon as it is out.

6. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  7. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  8. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 1928 catalog facsimile on CD ROM of HAU HAC (with its 1929 pricelist)has just been released. See my seperate Bookreview thred on this forum.

9. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 GoogleKnowsThis, Oct 21, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
    Thanks for the review. I also picked up a copy of the Lexicon by Hans-Heinrich Schmid. This book covers the German clock industry from 1850-1980 and has some good information about HAC. I believe it includes the same museum-published booklet that was mentioned earlier on this thread. It would be ideal if this book were translated and reprinted in English but I could only find it in German. Published 2005, ISBN 3-927987-91-3.

If touring I found this website.

And I found a copy of Hans A. Krauss's Hamburg american and Junghans Clocks. This wirebound booklet is a collection of letters, notes, catalog reproductions, inflation checks, and english translations. Krauss's parents worked for HAC and he includes in this book personal memorabilia. This book offers a great feeling as you flip through the pages. As a reference it includes a complete reproduction of the 1915 HAU catalog in B&W. There is a significant list of trademarks used by HAU, Junghans, and affiliates. Also it has Junghans catalog pages from 1898 to 1958 and HAU 1904 to 1933 however these do not appear to be complete catalogs.

Published by: Hans A. Krauss
    10521 E Cimmaron Drive
    Spokane, WA 99206-9663
    NAWCC #101962
    (No ISBN)

10. ged

ged Registered User

Apr 3, 2002
    Hello Again, My H A C Clock is wooden cased but stained and decorated to copy and look like French Slate or Marble Clock. It has crossed arrows on face and movement. My question is "What does No 3223 and made in Wurtemburg" mean Date? Model ? All of this is on a paper Label stuck on inside of rear door. Thanks in anticipation of a reply. Ged.

11. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ged,

I suggest you post this question as a new topic in the Clocks or Clock Repair forum with a photo of your clock and label. :)

Xamfap

12. any400day

any400day Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Ged,
    Please see my reply HAU/HAC Model 3223 in the Clocks forum.

Vic

13. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Vic. Are you going to make 1924 or any other years HAC/HAU available on CD?

14. any400day

any400day Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Singapore
    Country Flag:
    Xamfap,

The 1924 HAU catalogue will be made available in due course. The next would probably be a Badische.

15. ChuckR

ChuckR Registered User

Dec 6, 2007
    Field Service Engineer
    S.E. Michigan
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Xamfap,
    Could you tell me where you purchased 'Lexicon by Hans-Heinrich Schmid' I would like to get a copy. THANKS

Chuck

16. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I got mine from Amazon. Though as a US user I had to Google the book and sign up for the international amazon site. It was not available from amazon.com (the US site).

17. Fortunat Mueller-Maerki

Aug 25, 2000
    Male
    Sussex New Jersey USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

18. GoogleKnowsThis

Jul 23, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you don't know the local language very well freetranslation.com can help or you could open the local amazon.com and use it as a mirror site to figure out what all the links are as you walk through it in a foreign language. :)

19. zepernick

zepernick Deceased

Aug 8, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Please note that I've reposted information in a separate entry with Hans-Heinrich Schmid's LEXIKON as the subject.

20. centame

centame Registered User

Dec 13, 2005
    Country Flag:
    Hi all,

I am not sure how many of you are aware of a slim pictorial volume entitled "Catalogue of Clocks" selected by M.L. Prickett. I stumbled across a reference to this somewhere and purchased a copy for a very modest price via ABE or similar. This book/booklet was published in 1982 and is essentially a reprint ofa Hirst Brothers and Company of Manchester Catalogue (c1910). There are many pictures of clocks and watches that were being sold by this company, and their contemporary price (in Stg£) is included. Many of the clocks included are HAC, Junghans, Lenzkirch etc. Unfortunately, the clock model numbers are not included, just the catalogue's own designated number for each model for sale. So each entry includes a very short description, manufacturer, and price.

Well worth a look and perhaps ballpark useful for dating, e.g. I have a HAC longcase clock that dates to 1905/1906 - the dial and case of one of the longcase clocks illustrated on page 49 of this catalogue reprint is of a very similar style.

Centame