Hamburg American Wall clock

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by John Greatorex, Nov 22, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Greatorex

John Greatorex Registered User

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have a Hamburg American wall clock that I have rescued from a house removal breakage disaster. The main damage was to the case which I have restored back to almost good as new. I thought while I was at it I would give the movement a clean. I have done this and I have reassembled it. It is going again but the strike is all out of kilter and I cannot seem to make any sense of it at all. It will not do the half hour strike. I can’t find any real help on Youtube or in my books. I wondered if anyone could give me any advice other than throw it away! Thanks in anticipation. John Greatorex

ED9FD7DF-5B77-4BA4-ACB6-A5E289899DC4.jpeg

2. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A couple more pictures would be helpful. I'd like to see the back side as well as the setup between the plates of the strike train. I've done HAC wall clock movements but the lever setup on this one is different than what I've worked on in my admittedly short experience.

3. John Greatorex

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi. Thanks for replying. Hope these other photos help. It’s kinda hard with the back plate off. Everything tends to fall apart. Regards. John

DAE30796-020B-438E-9EA3-4EDA5893B890.jpeg 8E9EDCAB-4486-4F7C-B6B9-61CF8742D3F2.jpeg 898D1DE3-F596-4740-B051-0BD4799ED8C1.jpeg

4. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Did you take the barrels apart??

5. John Greatorex

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    No I didn’t. Out of curiosity! Why do you ask?

6. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What exactly do you mean when you say it won’t do the half hour strike? It does nothing when you advance the minute hand to the 30 minute mark, but does strike the proper hour when you go to the hour mark?

As you approach the 30 minute mark, does the cam on the center arbor raise the leaver? Does the clock go into warning?

I think I see in your pictures that you have the count leaver in about the right spot (but the clock is apart so who knows when it’s together). The count wheel slots are wide to accommodate both stopping on the hour and then the following half hour within the same slot so it’s important to have the count leaver very near the beginning or very near the end of the wide slot when you assemble.

Do you happen to have a video of the clock misbehaving at the 30 minute mark? You can post it to YouTube and link here.

7. John Greatorex

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello again. Thank you for all of your time. I’m sorry to say I have no video. The cam does lift on both occasions but it goes straight to chiming the next hour strikes without the once for the half hour. I do understand what you have said about the one slot for both occasions though and I will persevere. It was working perfectly before I dismantled it and I have lost nothing or broken anything so I know it will work again. One thing I am bothered about though, is that when moving the hour hand to change the time it is very loose compared to other clocks I have worked on.Thanks for your help and I promise to let you know how I get on. Regards. John

8. sloker

sloker Registered User

Jul 10, 2019
    Male
    Engineering Manager
    Plano, Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ok - what you describe sounds very much like you have the lifting lever too close to the center of the slot. If it’s too close to the center, it won’t fall into the slot on the half hour - it will just catch the edge of the next high point and continue striking. Watch the lever very carefully when you trigger the half hour. If you’re convinced you have it in the right spot, check to make sure the maintenance lever is fully down in the maintenance cam’s deep spot when the count lever is down in a slot. If the maintenance lever is falling in the right spot on its cam, and the count lever is right, check your locking lever and pin to make sure they are in the right spots to catch and lock. Timing on these movements is a bit challenging to get just right, but with careful observation and testing at slow speeds to see what’s going on, you should be able to get it. It may help, if you can, to take a slow motion video of each part of the striking process to see which section is causing the issue you are having. Best of luck - keep at it!

9. John Greatorex

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you very much. I will let you know how I get on. John

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It looks like you might have the 3rd and 4th wheels reversed. It would be good to see a pic with the fly in place.

11. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You might wish to purchase the book, “Striking Clock Repair” by Steven Conover. Chapter 8 covers an HAC movement. The diagrams in the book for each movement are invaluable. I used this book to set up my HAC box clock. He states that the relationship between count wheel, hammer lifting star, the locking wheel, the cam, and the warning wheel must be right. Thankfully, he identifies each piece of the movement in the diagrams and explains how to set them correctly. I think it is a must have book if you plan to do any other striking clocks. If this is the only movement you plan to work on, the forum can walk you through it.

sloker likes this.
  12. John Greatorex

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks, I’ll have a look at that. I know it’s only a case of assembling it correctly and I’ve never seen a movement of this before. I think it’s all part of the fun and I’m retired so it’s something to do. Regards. John

13. John Greatorex

Jul 19, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I will have a look for the book. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the advice. Regards. John

14. tracerjack

tracerjack Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 6, 2016
    Female
    Lodi, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The oil in the springs either gets sticky with age or in some cases is completely gone leaving the springs either gummed up or dry as a bone. In either case, there is not enough power for the clock. Removing springs and cleaning them requires some caution. If it is not something you feel confident in doing, you could take the barrels to a professional for cleaning.

John Greatorex likes this.