Hallmark Help on a Girard-Perregaux

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Beetlebug, Feb 26, 2005.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Howdy.
    I recently bought a Girard-Perregaux automatic (UG Microtor) and have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. This is an ultra-slim model with kind of an integrated bracelet. The case is stainless steel (so marked on the inside back) but the band is a bit weird. It has on the outside a bark like finish. The inside shows the metal cable like construction. The clasp has a hallmark on the back that has an "s" in a triangle with "18k" beneath it. I’ve posted a pic of this. What does this mean? Is it solid gold or gold filled? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Overfield
    NAWCC member 158328

2. Beetlebug

Beetlebug Registered User

Dec 5, 2002
    Howdy.
    I recently bought a Girard-Perregaux automatic (UG Microtor) and have a question I'm hoping someone can help me with. This is an ultra-slim model with kind of an integrated bracelet. The case is stainless steel (so marked on the inside back) but the band is a bit weird. It has on the outside a bark like finish. The inside shows the metal cable like construction. The clasp has a hallmark on the back that has an "s" in a triangle with "18k" beneath it. I’ve posted a pic of this. What does this mean? Is it solid gold or gold filled? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tom Overfield
    NAWCC member 158328

3. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Hi Tom, apparently the clasp is sold 18k gold. If it was otherwise it would have GF after it. You can take it to any jeweler and he can test it for you to make sure.

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The 18K is suspicious. There is a Swiss hallmark for 18 carat gold and this is not it.

18K gold hs a heft and feel that you can learn very fast. A jeweler should be able togive you a "Feel" very quickly.

There were watches with gold caps a fairly thick layer of gold over steel in the 1970's and that too is a possibility. Real solid gold will have hall mark especiall Swiss gold.

!8K should also say gold. This is a guess, you should have a pro take it in hand and look it over.

5. luger

luger Registered User

May 13, 2005
    I agree the 18k is suspect. It is clearly not Swiss. If it were "gold capped" it would have a "C" not an "s." I cannot see the photo of the original poster. I agree that if it were Swiss and gold it would have the Helvetia for 18k. It would also have to have some identiying trademark of the producer.