• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Haller Quartz "400 day" desk clock

Regalansonia

May 11, 2004
I have in for repair a desk clock made by Haller, with quartz movement, that is currently dead in the water (even with new battery). Im hoping someone has a new or slightly used movement to replace the one in this case, since Ive had no luck in finding one from any other source (clock supply houses, Horolovar, ebay, etc). Pic is of back of movement.

Attachments

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
OK ,this is a hard one;Haller never was famous for being a high quality maker,and this is a cheapy so it will be difficult.What I can see is the independent pendulum drive.It seems ok per vision,but one never knows.Take care of that hairspring when fiddeling with the pendulum,it is a return spring for the pendulum; if it gets distorted You won't find another one that fits.Does the pendulum swing? Often these clocks have a power supply problem,so check and clean all contact points from the battery compartment and contacts up to the last contact where the wireing enters the switchboard of the movement.Put a small drop of contact spray on each of these points,throw in a new battery and see what happens.If that doesn't make it go I´m at the end of my Latin.Good luck!
Burkhard

Last edited by a moderator:

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA
If the pendulum doesn't work as well as the movement, it
is likely a contact issue.
The two are independent parts of the clock. The pendulum
is just for looks and uses an ATO type transistor drive.
It uses a larger sense coil and a silicon transistor that
is more robust than the older germanium transistors.
Tinker Dwight

Regalansonia

May 11, 2004
Thanks to both of you for your answers. Since nothing happens with the suggestions made, I think this clock needs a priest to give it the last rites. Not a bad looking clock and too bad it has but one life 😞 Al Stevenson

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
I often find these clocks abandoned at our local thrift shop, and, if the price is right, buy them just for the globe, if it is glass. I've found little can be done to fix them once they quit, little if any quality to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
car-nut1
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-