Haller?? please help id

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Burkhard Rasch, Aug 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    at the moment I´m on vaccations in France and don´t have mybook at hand ; got this one in a local Brocante for cheap with a flawless peroid dome. Could be Haller by the "flimsy" wheels,or one of the short-lived makers of the 50ies/early 60ies.Please help me out!TIA
    Burkhard

DSCN3950[1].JPG DSCN3949[1].JPG DSCN3938[1].JPG

2. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Burkhard -

Yes, it appears to be plate 1162 by Sigfried Haller...ca 1951. It's not the "time bomb" that I know of.

Kurt

3. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks,Kurt,for Your help. AFAIK narrow plates came into general use in the late 50ies as a reaction on US tax regulations alowing the clocks with narrow plates being taxed as"watches",so IMO 1951 is a bit early for that one ,but at least it´s a Haller.Note the "split" anchor design,quiet unusual but effective. Someone obviously tried to "clean" the base with an aggressive agent causing the turquoise laquer to partly dissolve .This created a kind of "shabby chique" look,I think I´ll leave it that way at least for the next time.It´s missing the suspension unit , but mainspring is good .Will do a good service to the mvmt. as soon as I´m back home (2weeks).
    BTW I have a "time bomb",quiet an interesting clock and not dangerous as long as You know what You´re doing,and it is so attractive!!!
    Thanks again
    Burkhard

4. KurtinSA

KurtinSA Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 24, 2014
    Aerospace Engineer (Ret.)
    San Antonio, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just was looking at the repair guide on page 20...says that in 1951 Forrestville Clock Co. was the first to offer clocks with a plate width of 1.77" to take advantage of the new rule to reduce import duties. That made it a "watch"...right!

Kurt

5. Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    after a service and with a new SS the Haller is running strongly now.It was obviously the first service this clock recieverd since the plates still had their original laquer preserved . And -typical for cheap Hallers- the blocks were riveted to the SS and could not be used twice!
    Burkhard

DSCN3987.JPG DSCN3988.JPG